Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I got some new goggles but one quick question :/

I recently purchased a new laser :D It has not arrived yet but I expect it to be here this week, it is a 1.2W 445nm from Blord. I already have radiant electronics laser shades but frankly they seem pretty cheap and flimsy and I can actually see the beam of a 1W 445nm with them on in a dark room so I decided to get an eagle pair from survival laser :D I looked at the graph and for 445nm the goggles should be around OD>4.5 so I calculated that to be about 4mW transmittance max using this site so they should be plenty safe :) but my question is if I am using the goggles while burning something will I be able to see the laser dot to see what I'm burning? Because in this review you can just barely see the dot of a 1.8W 445nm but maybe it is just more dull in the picture :thinking: ? Yea so that's my main question also big thanks to Garoq for this discount code :thanks:

ARG

Yes, you can still see the dot, even through OD 7 goggles.

You missed a decimal place somewhere. 1200*10^-4.5 is 0.04mW.

Well I got kind of confused because the graph says OD>4 is 0.01% but if I use the equation 10^-4 is .0001% so I figured it was a mistake and to match the graph it would be T=(10^-OD)*100 so (10^-4.5)= .0000316*100=.00316 and 1200*.00316 is 3.792mW.

Edit: I figured it out now the T is a decimal and not a % like the graph so to make it a % you need to multiply by 100 so it is not a mistake I just got a bit confused.

Last edited:
yes you'll be able to see the dot. i do wood etching with my 445, so it's nice to see the dot and no residual light whatsoever. just remember, those glasses can make you forget really quickly how powerful the 445's are. i bumped my glasses while i had them on the other day and caught what was almost the equivalent of a welding arc flash. reminded me really quickly what i was working with.