Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I got my first laser....

So my dad went to Bali and brought me home one of those black pen styled green laser pointers. It says <50mw and I don't think it puts out fully 50mw but it's still a good laser. I can see the beam a bit in daylight and at night it's really good. It also came with 3 kaleidoscope attachments which are pretty cool! Any way is a 50mw laser a 5k laser? My dad told me it is but I have never heard of a 5k laser? He said it means 5 kilowatts or something? I don't believe it is though.

Thanks
-S

DrSid

No idea what 5k is. Hope you know all the safety rules ! Enjoy !

Fenzir

5 kilometers perhaps? Most lasers we see here will easily go 5 kilometers.

What color is your laser? Green? Anyway, that's very cool. However, I have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to 5k. I would have to go with the others and say that it means 5 kilometers, maybe.

Kevlar

He said it means 5 kilowatts or something?

I want a 5 Kilowatt laser!!! :drool:

Lets see, 1W = 1000mW so 1000W would = 1KW? So a 5K laser would be 5KW? Maybe in a pen host too!! :crackup:

Last edited:
Nerf! That's a metal engraver right there. 1picosecond dutycycle, though!

A 5 kilowatt(1 thousand watt's) would be 5,000watt's. Which is most defiantly not 50millawatt's, so your dad is probably thinking of something else, or is thinking he just bought a laser for you that could cut through a 5in piece of iron like butter. :crackup: Also, it would probably be the size of a baseball bat.

Last edited: