Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I finsihed my laser: but theres a problem

Hello all.

I finally finished my PHR-803T blu-ray laser.I got all the parts from modwerx.com

Unfortunately,it has problems.

The light that is emmited looks like a flashlight light!

Can someone please help me?

I will post a video about this to my youtube channel tomorow ( July 10 )
youtube.com/momo66342

Hello all.

I finally finished my PHR-803T blu-ray laser.I got all the parts from modwerx.com

Unfortunately,it has problems.

The light that is emmited looks like a flashlight light!

Can someone please help me?

I will post a video about this to my youtube channel tomorow ( July 10 )
youtube.com/momo66342

have you tried focusing it with the lens on the end of the the module?

the "infinity" focal point should be close to almost screwed all the way in (clock-wise)

sometime with the phr diode if it is not pressed into the module all the way it will not focus to infinity.

jayrob

Just to add to that...

...if this is the case, an easy fix is to just unscrew the AixiZ focus ring a little. You could probably just use some thread lock (being careful not to get any on the optic), and install the focus ring only half way threaded on.
Jay

Thanks for trying to help,but nothing worked.Guess i just wasted my money

Shine the beam at a wall. Turn the focus ring. The lighted spot at the wall should change in size. Keep turning the focus ring so that it becomes smaller. As mentioned, it will have to be nearly fully screwed into the Aixiz housing.

Note, if you aim at a wall a few meters away and keep turning, it may appear to you that after a while the dot gets bigger again, never becoming a pinpoint inbetween. That's an optical illusion, because your eyes can't focus that light properly! As soon as the lighted spot seems to have the smallest size (it also changes appearance a bit at that point, seeming to develop some interior structure), put the laser down and walk over to the wall to look at the spot from close up: you'll see it's much smaller than you thought, ideally just two mm or so.

Also, pictures of your build might help.

Thanks for trying to help,but nothing worked.Guess i just wasted my money

you didnt waste your money....i tried to tell you this through email...

the lens is made of plastic and theres a lens "nut" on the end to help focus more easily. completely remove the lens nut and just turn the lens. if it fixes the problem just put the lens nut back on and tighten it as tight as possible to the lens... if it doesnt fix it pm me.

you didnt waste your money....i tried to tell you this through email...

the lens is made of plastic and theres a lens "nut" on the end to help focus more easily. completely remove the lens nut and just turn the lens. if it fixes the problem just put the lens nut back on and tighten it as tight as possible to the lens... if it doesnt fix it pm me.

So how to i turn the lens?
Should i just trwist it with my finger?
And how to i get the lense nut out? If it is the black thing about 1 cm long, i got it out.
Also i have a ring at the end of it with nothing in it.

Thanks for any help

now screw the black thing back in by it's self and follow the Dr,s orders and listen to Drew ! then lets see what happens I'll be here...

So how to i turn the lens?
Should i just trwist it with my finger?
And how to i get the lense nut out? If it is the black thing about 1 cm long, i got it out.
Also i have a ring at the end of it with nothing in it.

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
The difference between focused and flashlight on a blu-ray is a few degrees of turn, if you go too far, too fast you will miss the focus point due to what others above have said about 405mn and human eyes.

If you put the lens unit (the black plastic bit, with the thread) into the front of the module, switch the laser on, point it at a wall then start screwing the lens unit in.

You should get a disk of light that gets smaller and smaller, if it goes big again you have gone too far.

If it never gets really small your LD has not been fully inserted, as stated already.

Regards rog8811

I just watched your video. It looked like your diode is dead or you don't have enough current going to it. (rather dim) The reason why I say this is because even when it's not focused, you shouldn't have to turn off the lights in order to be able to see it shining on a wall. What do you have the current set at?

Last edited:
I just watched your video. It looked like your diode is dead or you don't have enough current going to it. (rather dim) The reason why I say this is because even when it's not focused, you shouldn't have to turn off the lights in order to be able to see it shining on a wall. What do you have the current set at?
if im not mistaken its @ 100ma although from the vid it does look like the diode died. pm me..

Last edited:
If that's the case, then it's definitly dead...fried....either that or his camera just doesn't pick up the 405nm light well

His video is posted here
Http://youtube.com/momo66342

EDIT: BUY SAFETY GLASES!!!

Last edited:
Having watched the movie I agree, you have an LED there I am afraid, how did you set the driver current? And did you short the output of the driver before adding the LD?

Also at no point do you try to focus as suggested, you appear to just wind it in a bit and wind it out a bit, you need to turn it by small amounts with the LD on.... when you get a new one.

Regards rog8811

Edit. You are courting disaster using flying leads to the LD like that, far better to solder the driver directly to the LD pins.

Last edited:
First thing, even if the diode is very weak, it's not yet focused. It looks like there are a few turns at least still missing

Second thing, shining a laser at a camera is a sure way of wrecking it (the camera), if you ever get the laser working properly!

Third thing, when you shine the laser at your shirt in the dark at 4:00, the spot looks very odd, there's a black line through it. Could be that there is something in the light path, or that the diode window is damaged. Maybe you can remove the lens holder (the black lens nut) and have a look at the inside of the Aixiz module and the diode with a good magnifying glass, but FOR HEAVENS SAKE, REMOVE THE BATTERIES FIRST! Also, when you look through the lens once it's out, it should look completely clear and transparent.

Fourth thing, as you've noticed, the diode is very dim. So either it's not lasing anymore, or it's getting too little current. I can see a big black box which presumably holds your batteries, but how are they hooked up inside - do you really get 9V out of them? Do you have a voltmeter you can use to check?

Btw, may I ask how old you are?

Last edited: