Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

i don't know what diode or if usable...

i was at the trade show today and i picked up an hp cd burner from 2000. i opened it up and found where the diode is. i want to use it as is and use the lenses already in it... but what color laser will it be, what strength, how much power do i use, and is it not even worth it?

answer some or all.

CD burners are IR, and a waste of time. You could use it for practicing harvesting, other than that its a boat anchor.

so even if i just hooked it up to some batteries for 5 minutes of fun it would still be a waste of time?
would that be unreasonably dangerous considering i don't have any laser goggles yet?

are there any alternatives to store bought protection?

Last edited:
Even ( watever the power of maybe 50 mW of IR ) it's still dangerous.
But you probably are going to fry the diode in less then 5 min.

Get a dvd burner hook the diode on a LM317 100-200 mA and you got a nice red laser
and it's even a visible beam

LM317%20basic.jpg

ok... what is a good place to get a dvd burner at? i don't wanna send credit card info to china and i am under the impression a 24x burner won't work. i also need saftey goggles...i need help with this...

A 20 speed dvd burner or a 24 speed will do fine.
Do you have Experience with lasers ???
Do you Own a laser?
And yes if you start working-playing with lasers you should get laser safety goggles.
You can get a dvd burner @ the local Computer Store.

i don't know why but that sounded kind of mean...
1. no, this will be my first build.
2. no, unless little dollar store pointers count.
what goggles do you recommend for use with red lasers?

...my computer store is expensive....

Well i don't mean to be MEAN but lasers are verry dangerous for the eyes , beginners must be carefull.
I started with 2 mW then 5 mW then 50 so on...
The laser from a dvd burner is already like 200mW and i understand you want to build 1 yourself.

For red laser goggles you need OD+5 goggles

i don't mean to ask so many questions... but where is a good place to get those?

rhd

If you think you can get up and running without using your credit card online, you're pretty much out of luck. At some point you're going to need to order something that you can't source locally. It's pretty much impossible to avoid that.

i've given up on that. as long as the company is US based i think i can trust them.

about the goggles... does color matter?

Red laser goggles are sold as red laser goggles and the color of the "glasses" are blue.

Last edited: