Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

how to test output power of my laser on my own?

What type of hardware would I need to test the output power of my lasers?

S

SenKat

Re: how to test output power of my laser on my own

You would need a reputable laser power meter - like one from Coherent, the Lasercheck. Or a nice Thermal sensor type - as offered by Ophir {A weee bit costly there !} Or one of the Andover Holography LPM-1 laser power meters...

sometimes you can luck out and find a great deal on Ebay on some used equipment - but sometimes that is a little risky !

Normally the bottom line reputable meter is considered to be the Coherent Lasercheck. Expect to pay ~$400 for one of those. From there you advance onto thermal meter/sensor pairs and such which can run many thousands.

If you're looking to get your laser metered, you may find some tips here:
http://www.lasertopia.info/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3

S

SenKat

GAH ! Garbage, stay away from it !

There is another thread that discusses the evil of that "device" - and the lack of it working properly !

r8nd0m

SenKat said:
GAH ! Garbage, stay away from it !

There is another thread that discusses the evil of that "device" - and the lack of it working properly !
Knew it was too good/cheap to be true.

OK I am aware that I am necro=posing by 12 YEARS!!!
BUT other new members can learn a lot from the OP and his question.

so

I guess the OP was a 'hit and run' member. no intro ( even a bad one) no location anywhere-
SO the Laser Nazi sez--no metering for YOU.

The OP might have had a local member w/LPM .. but w/o a crystal ball -- no one wins.

IF I were 'in charge' an intro WITH location IN the fricken TITLE would be the rule.

This new forum is better in some ways BUT in others.. it sux.

Our location is no longer in our posts--so we must resort to looking at the members profile.
AND when no location is there--THAT really pisses me off when they ask for help BUT FAIL to help themselves.

SO MYB we can bitch less about necros and doubles and convince every new member to finish 'joining' by adding inmportant info.. we should ask them to do that EVERY time they ask a question and if they don' NO LASER HELP FOR THEM period.
I know it takes some effort to edit the intro's title w/ location AND finish the profile.. BUT that is NOT our job.. its on the newcomer..

FREE LASER METERING for LIFE. only if they go with the program.

As I get older I am less inclined to help fools who are not making good choices.
IMHO it is a no-brainer about location..it is VERY important and it would be nice if they just accepted that w/o needing
a bunch of explaining..

When a new thread is started in Welcome--they only reply should be--plz add your location here in your edited title AND in your profile.. period!.. we are in no way obligated to be 'nice(r)'.
I am done being nice about this.. FOR THE STUBBORN NEWCOMERS..
just PM them once w/ SOME of the whys and hows. AND let them make the next move.

To be the most effective we need to work together to do this, if possible the same day they make their very first post/thread. I am aware to some extent they do not know any better,,, but once asked to follow through.. if they fail we should just ignore..,
IMHO when we fail ask about location ASAP we are condoning this lack of info in their intro.
AND actual location CAN be found and for all liars--no laser for you!

hk