Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

How to make LPM?

deltawars

Hi i'm new to the forms and laser making so i'm sorry if this has already been asked or if i have posted it in the wrong section.

Does anyone know how to make a LPM on the cheap?
I don't really care about the accuracy as long as is fairly accurate like in a 200mw range as i'm going to use it to measure high power lasers.
I also have a arduino and i am familiar with the code(not sure if that helps?).
and one of my hobbies is electronics so i'm not a total noob lol.

P.S sorry if i made some spelling mistakes or wrote anything back to front i posted this just after midnight

Livinloud

send a message to ARG......he can help you out and FYI 200mW is not high powered

deltawars

thanks for the info ow and sorry i meant it can be 200mw off like say the laser is 2500mw it would register 2300mw

Livinloud

oh yeah that makes sense now that i re-read it. if you buy or build a LPM that can be 200mW off then you have a piece of junk LPM......an ophir at 2.5W at most should be 125mW off if its 5% off. anything more than 5% is junk and not worth the time or money. Most ophir should be within 1% if not spot on.

Cyparagon

Any metrology enthusiasts will tell you there is a big difference between 1% and spot-on ;). I think the ophir heads are 3%-class devices.

Bionic-Badger

Note that the "$50 LPM" is nothing more than an amp that provides a reading. You'll need to get calibration data about your sensor so that you know what that reading actually corresponds to (e.g. the power). Once you've bought on a sensor maybe you can get someone on the forum to perform tests on it to get you that calibration data.

ARG

A stable laser with a known power can be used as well.

Bionic-Badger

I think you'd need two, or a tunable laser to have at least two datapoints.

ARG

It would be a good idea, to account for any non-linearity.