Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to make a Xbox 360 HD DVD laser.

TMR

Hi,

until now i managed to open the player and get the diode out. i would like to assemble it into a MAG LITE AA.
and now i have no idea what to do next...

i read smth about a LM317 and getting a laser modul probably the 5914 from dealextrem
but im pretty sure that it aint that easy :'(

so please help ;D thank you

PS: the laser diode from the xbox hd dvd player is the DT0811. the weaker one. did my homework :p

TMR

somewhere here i read that they used two diffrent blue laser diodes. some of them are stronger and some are weaker.
the weaker one have the number DT0811 on them, the stronger one smth else.
and i got the weaker one.

chido

You need to build a DDL circuit to power your diode. Here's the thread. And here's a video tutorial.
You need around 6 AAs or 6 NIMH rechargeable cells to power this driver.
You could also buy one of DL's flexdrives. One of those would let you power a bluray from 2 AAs. :p

TMR

so:
i get this flexdrive adjust the resistance with this tiny thing.
than i get a module and assemble it. the module is just important as a case and because of the lens in it right?
and than im done?

chido

You need an aixiz module for focusing, the flexdrive so you can provide the LD with the power it needs without killing it, and batteries. :p

Zom-B

There isn't nearly enough space in a minimag for an Aixiz module AND a driver, and the press on-off switch is under the cap also hard to keep when replacing the reflector.

TMR

yea i guess the maglite is broken anyways so it wouldnt be a that big problem.
so once again.
if i get this flexdrive and the aixiz module and a good host there is nothing else i need? and except of solding the battery and the diode and the switch to the flexdrive there is nothing else to do?

chido

You also need a vice to press the diode in the aixiz module.

Like this:

fit_diode1.jpg

if i wanted to run 4 AA's what would i need to do to reduce the voltage (1.5V * 4 = 6V) to accommodate for the flexdrives max input of 5.5V???

chido

Dr. Lava used a 1N400x diode in series between the + side of the battery and the + side of the driver to drop the voltage from two 3v CR123 batteries down to 5.5v. Although I don't know why you would want to power it from 4 AAs when you can do it with 2. :p

EDIT: Maybe you won't have to use the diode at all since the voltage of alkaline batteries drops under a load, so those 6v with the driver and the laser diode connected might drop down to 5.3v, or 5.2v, it depends.

i was also thinking about using a micro cooling fan in my lil box project, that could potentially cross out the need for a 1N4001 diode.

IgorT

TheGr8Revealing said:
if i wanted to run 4 AA's what would i need to do to reduce the voltage (1.5V * 4 = 6V) to accommodate for the flexdrives max input of 5.5V???

Why would you want to use 4xAA if the flexdrive can work just as well from 2 or one Li-Ion (which come in AA and AAA sizes and more).

The whole point of that driver is so that you can make the laser smaller, and the batteries are the main problem with making lasers small.
If you have place for two batteries, you can just as well use a 317 driver and two Li-Ions.

Otherwise, yes, you can use a regular diode (1N4007) to drop the voltage into flexdrive's range. But this driver will not work any better from four batteries, compared to two. Only longer. Since you are probably going to use rechargables, the battery life is not too important.