Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to make a dirt cheep green laser into IR?

How noob am I?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is my first post. I have read the rules, and I have not found anything to answer my question. I am a super noob at lasers. I got my first laser last summer at walmart for $1.50 at the checkout.
Since then, I have purchased quite a few lasers. I have purchased quite a few cheap green lasers, because I can't get enough of them and they are cheap. They are ~5mW and they cost like 3 dollars each on amazon. I ordered 5. One has turned into *what I assume to be* an IR laser. It never fell or anything, but I held it up to my eye, and there is a tiny red dot inside, but it looks far away. (Nothing in that previous sentence was true.)
I looked at it through my phone camera, and it was very bright. I could shine it against a wall about 20 feet away in the dark, and I could see the dot with my phone.
My understanding is that the light originates in IR frequency. Its frequency is then reduced, and then doubled up to 532nm. I believe that these lasers have no filter on the IR, because of all the light that's escaping.
I have been reading that a 5mW laser is actually much higher without all the filters it goes through.
Is it possible for me to modify this laser so it produces light completely in the IR spectrum?
I saw some threads that switched out the diode or something, but I don't want to do that. I am not looking for anything high quality (obviously). I just want something bright, and possibly dangerous. Not an every day laser, just something to play with with a camera.
I am not an idiot, and I am confident that it won't find it's way into the neighbor's eyes. I just want to tinker with these things because there are so many.
This laser in particular is the one that is sold for about $3 all over amazon. This one came with little attachments for the end to make shapes and stuff.

I am a complete noob, as I previously said, so you are free to tell me all about it. Is this even practical? Could I jam a paperclip in the laser hole to break some of filter lenses inside it? (if there are any?)
I think it might be filled with glue. I tried getting it apart, and it won't budge. I read not to twist it.
Any suggestions? I am sorry if I'm not supposed to post this.
Thanks!

ARG

It's probably pretty easy.

Take out the module and remove the crystals

12066-how-get-blue-dpss-lbo-crystal-dmp.jpg

Then adjust the lens because the IR diode will have a different focal length than the green.

Yeah, just open it up and pop out the crystals. Some are glued on, some are screwed on, so you'll have to see.

I hope you have appropiate Laser Safely Googles/Glasses
for that 808nm wavelength after you remove the crystals...

BTW.... why did you feel the need to open a Poll...:thinking:

Jerry

You can contact us at any time on our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:
Yes I felt the need to start a poll.

How can I get this laser apart. It is built like a tank. Something has to be able to get it apart. I used a channellock to try to pry it open. It didn't even dent the end. It just scratched the finish on the end. :gun: <- I felt the need for that too.

Your good dude, not many people know that greens are Dpss, therefor 808nm to begin with. so theres that :)

Btw, who answered voldemort? LMAO!

ARG

Yeah, I voted "one of the worst" noobs. It's a double negative :p He'd make a pretty bad noob knowing that 532nm lasers aren't made by a diode.