Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

how to heatsink a driver inside aixiz module

Is there a way to heatsink the driver sitting inside the hollow aixiz cylinder by heatsinking it TO the cylinder? This way, the driver isn't just sitting insulated in mid-air inside the hollow cylinder.

I assume filling a portion of the hollow cylinder (on either side of the driver) with thermal paste makes for a negligible heat path.

Maybe need to stick a small Al or Cu rectangular heatsink piece to the side of the driver?

Or is an aixiz module with the driver sitting inside the hollow aluminum cylinder assumed to be only good for smaller drive currents less than 1W or so?

Thank you.

Last edited:

I had a laser once that would start blinking after a few seconds because the driver would get too hot. I filled most of the module up with thermal paste and that seemed to solve the problem of the driver overheating. I wasn't too worried about damaging that laser, but if you're worried about damaging yours then you might want to try something else.

Hi Kevin,

Thank you for your answer - interesting.

1) What mW was your laser?
2) Did you happen to notice if the laser head got warmer with the thermal compound - this would imply significantly better heat transfer.

It was a 700 mW 405 nm laser. I didn't notice any heating of the laser head. The head was put into an LED heatsink big enough to dissipate just about all the heat coming off from the laser head, so it wasn't something I was really worried about.

Would like to know a bit more information about your build. What diode? Host? Driver?

haven't decided the details yet but I was headed toward a 12x30mm module rather than pressing a diode into a heatsink, just for simplicity and replaceability. Also wanted the c6 type host to be flexible enough to accomodate either a 1+Watt 445 (driver heatsink would be nice) or a 150-200mW 520 (no driver heatsink necessary) , this is based somewhat on budget.

Yes this is called "potting" and I do it for all high power builds and one of the best materials to use is called FUJIK and you can get it here> FUJIK Silicone Thermal Glue (50ml Grease-Like) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

Here is one example of potting the driver to the pill, put some on the driver and some in the pill then mash them together>

Thank you for the post - this will help for sure! I might just do that instead of purchasing the 12x30mm premade module.

What size board is it in the pic?

DTR

haven't decided the details yet but I was headed toward a 12x30mm module rather than pressing a diode into a heatsink, just for simplicity and replaceability. Also wanted the c6 type host to be flexible enough to accomodate either a 1+Watt 445 (driver heatsink would be nice) or a 150-200mW 520 (no driver heatsink necessary) , this is based somewhat on budget.

If in a C6 I would go with a buck like an X-drive on your 445nm. It will fit in the module and run longer before overheating than any duty cycle you would want to keep in that host.:)

Yeah DTR said it. I will say though that the X-Drive V6 is a VERY tight fit in the modules. A V7 mini fits nicely in the aixiz modules.