Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to disassemble a DX green laser?

rkcstr

So I have a DealExtreme True 5mw laser that I would like to disassemble. Functionally fine, just want to use the housing for a project. Anyway, does anyone have a good method of removing the laser assembly from the front without damaging the case or the module? I can't seem to get that front silver piece to come out.

there are many threads about this, it is next to impossible, you have to heat up the tip so that the glue softens.... then use "woodblocks" with holes drilled in them to fir around the laser to pull it off

rkcstr

Unfortunately, I couldn't find any threads on it. I figured it was there somewhere, but probably just mentioned in reponse to another thread. Didn't really know how to search it or even what exact forum to look.

Anyway, yeah, that thing is on there. I know they're pressed in, but you're saying they're glued too?? I've tried gripping the thing tightly and twisting, but I haven't tried heat, which was my next step. Ideally, you'd want to heat the case and not the tip as you want it to expand the case to loosen it's grip on the tip, but if it's also glued, I suppose the melting of the glue would need to happen first. Also, the body has a rubberized texture that I'm guessing wouldn't withstand heat very well.

Also, how are you using these blocks? I'm guessing you'd kind of make a "wood vise" to clamp on the tip to hold it and you just twist and pull the body? I was going to try to find some big pliers with a plastic insert or get a wood clamp to do something similar to what you were saying to do.

well... i cant seem to find it either... :p, ive also heard to use a vice or "break up" the glue by mashing the edges

yea you have to have 2 blocks i think one to hold the top of the pointer and one to hold the pointer, you heat it and twist damn hard

noo!!!! you do not twist the cap or you could rip the pins off the diode in there.

clamp the silver tip in a vice and u need to sort of wiggle it back and forth up & outwards.
twisting will cause the button to keep the "driver" still while still twisting the diode. that will break the little diodes legs off :'(