Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to control my galvo scanner set?

Stino

Hey guys,

I woundering how I can control this galvo set:
20Kpps laser scanning galvo scanners ILDA | eBay

I know that many people already asked this question and i have read many threads but i don't really understand it that well.
I saw that u can control the galvo's with an USB soundcard, well i have the M-audio Fast Track Pro at home, can i use this interface to control the galvo's? without having to break open the interface because i still need it for my monitors.

I also have an ADuC 8O51 microprocessor with 2 DAC's onboard, can i use these DAC's? The only problem maybe is that they can only go from 0 to +5v?
and I would like to use LFI player to design my projections or some other free software?
I don't want to buy an expensive DAC like easylase because i don't really need professional stuff, i have already spent 80 euro on the galvo's and want to keep the DAC as cheap as possible.

I'm a noob when it comes to lasers and scanners, can somebody please help me understand this a bit more and could give me a solution on how to control the galvo's? all help is very much appreciated! :)
I'm sorry if my explanation isn't that good but i tried my best!
I hope someone can help me a bit choosing a good solution or explaining me what to do

Grtz Stino

Last edited:

You ought to read the stickies in the Laser Show forum. A soundcard DAC would probably be the best place to start. Basically, you need a fast DAC to provide the signal to your galvos, and the software to translate images to signals for those DACs. Microcontroller DACs are often too slow and/or have too low of resolution to be good for galvos (the uC you mentioned only has 8-bit DACs), but you can still use them. You'd have to program them up yourself to do what you want though. For soundcard DACs there is software such as LFI that can utilize them, and it's free, though not the best.

Stino

You ought to read the stickies in the Laser Show forum. A soundcard DAC would probably be the best place to start. Basically, you need a fast DAC to provide the signal to your galvos, and the software to translate images to signals for those DACs. Microcontroller DACs are often too slow and/or have too low of resolution to be good for galvos (the uC you mentioned only has 8-bit DACs), but you can still use them. You'd have to program them up yourself to do what you want though. For soundcard DACs there is software such as LFI that can utilize them, and it's free, though not the best.

thanks man you've explained a lot to me now :) bit by bit i'm getting more sense into this but still can i contact u in private if i have any questions left or should i stick to posting the forum? I can understand.