Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to Bypass the Momentary Switch

GregH

I have a presentation pointer with a red laser (controls Power Point via a USB dongle) that I wish to replace with a green laser.

I have a 5mw green from O-Like which was supposed to have leads trailing out instead of the spring. In addition to the spring, the module has a momentary button switch that I would like to bypass. I have basic soldering skills and am wondering if it could be as simple as running a wire from one side of the button switch to the other?

Thanks,
Greg

Yes that would bypass the switch and give you continous on.
or just remove the switch and put a wire in it's place ;)

Last edited:
If you are using to replace in a host. The heatsink should be one of the connections and the spring is the other. Doing that is brain dead easy. But wiring across the momentary will be make it always on (See jayrobs thread on the green Kryton kit for an example that does this and uses the clickie as an on off.)

If you want to use it more as a module you can attach a wire to each side also with a SPST switch for on/off function instead of momentary.

As far as powering it as a module.

First attach a wire to the spring.

Then check where the board connects to the diode. One of the patches there should be connected to the brass housing/heatsink and you can wire to that patch for the other lead. It's quick and dirty but it works.

Doing it this way you can still power it as a module and have on off function with a switch.

As least thats how I do mine!

Last edited:

GregH

Excellent. Thank you for the help.

The device I'm putting the O-Like into (Keyspan Presentation Remote Pro) has its own switch. This way I'll hit the button and have a green laser instead of red.

Thanks again for the guidance.