Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How should I mod it?

So that RGY I bought has arrived. It's pretty neat :) I opened 'er up and it looks ripe for modding ;)

But I can't figure out what to do with it. Things I've considered:

-Using my 140mW green to make it into a straight green scanner.
-Using a 100mW blu-ray to make a violet scanner.
-Putting those two together for a GV scanner.
-Getting a 200mW red with that 140mW green and making a more powerful RGY.
-Getting a 200mW red with the 100mW blu-ray for a RVP projector. (Red, Violet, Purple/Pink).
-And finally, somehow cramming everything in for a RGV projector... but there ain't much room...

Problems are that the 140mW green is TTL, where as the rest I'm using the FLexMod1 which has analog modulation. My DAC supports analog too. I'm not even sure though that the scanner electronics supports analog... which means I need to just test it out...

Not counting the full RGV scanner, what option do you guys think would be best? Also, do you think I could kick of the current driver of the 140mW green and replace it with a FlexMod1 so I can get analogue modulation for it?

Things

Go for full!

I built a all green, thinking it would be pretty awesome, which it is, but I sure wish it was RGY or RGB right now.

RGV sounds cool, and if you wanna go full out RGB, you just gotta replace the V with a blue, or even just add a blue and leave the V there! ;)

There's no way I'm fitting a blue in there, lol

A nice advantage of violet is that it is just a diode, no DPSS system. So you can keep it really small. And just using a FlexMod1 and the system can be kept tiny as anything.

So with that I reckon I could fit it all in... just...

The big question now is whether the electronics in the scanner support analogue modulation. If they do, then that would be swell :cool:

Things

The DMX board?

Assuming you will be using a DAC, your DAC will have analog. If it doesnt, i'm afraid you just wasted ALOT of money. Its not really the scanners that matter, if they are analog, its whatever you use to drive the lasers.

Yeah, the DAC is analogue. I know that for a fact ;) I got a Moncha DAC, which is pretty much the best DAC in the entry level arena :)

I'm just wondering if I'll have to make some additional wiring to get it going analogue, or if the circuit boards in the scanner are already set up for analogue. Not sure...

Yeah yeah, but I would much prefer an analogue scanner, especially with 3 colours :)

If the scanner doesn't work with analogue I can just go with TTL, but still, I'd rather analogue :)

How about where I said replacing the driver for the green with a FlexMod1 driver so I can have analogue, would that work?

FokoF

Be very careful when replacing a laser modules psu... check, check again and check once more, mA, Volts.... but i guess it should work, just don't blow your green up :p

as it has been said above analog is simple controlled by your dac and software.
analog isnt something that is hard to wire up its simply a positive wire and then a ground. you can even put a pot in line of the positive wire for modulation and adjust the power with it.

i did this last night to play around with mixing my red and violet. it was fun.

just need my flexmod drive.

and by the way the flexmod is analog and ttl.

it says clearly on their site.

if you can snap some picture of the layout inside your scanner it would help us decide what all we can fit in there.

I've been looking at my green module and I'm not sure replacing the driver is the best idea. It has fans and stuff in it, and I'd need to drive those as well, added complications.

Might be easier and safer just to get a 100mW green analogue module, rather than trying to mod this TTL one. I only need 100mW, so it isn't like it'll burn a hole in the bank. thesk8nmidget, do you have any deals on 100mW analogue greenies?

Okay, I've opened 'er up. Unfortunately, the batts in my camera are dead :( (It seems to eat through batteries REALLY quickly) so I need to charge them up. But just looking at it again... damn, gonna be a squeeze. This thing looks like a single colour projector that had an extra module jammed in. So a third? Boy...

My 140mW green module would fit in, but only as a single colour projector. No room for optics in there... Unless I reshuffle everything and stick in some mirrors.

Here we go, here is the guts of it:

Lots of circuit boards, lots of wires, not much room :(

You know, never thought of that...

I mean, one of the reasons I bought it is FOR the box. And all the nifty electronics and stuff, like the key switch, ILDA port, fan and other stuff. All those other things I'd never figure out how to wire up...

But I guess I COULD make a new box. Port all the electronics over. I could use the old box for a 1 colour scanner.

Hmm, I'll need to think about it... great suggestion though ;)

Things

Hmm, that red module looks very similar to the 1 I had in my RGY, tho the diode died, and since I have a 150m green now, I need a higher power. I am getting a few diodes from LSP I can use, but I need to figure out a way to combine them.

Things

Oh and you think thats crowded, check out my scanner with JUSt green LOL

scanner009.jpg

That little silver module and the driver ontop of it is gone now, the red will eventually go there, since that little module is awating a c-mount replacement :(

I gotta fit red in there too eventually.

Once I get a blue, I will most likely building a new case for it.