Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How much is a 40mW ML argon worth

I think I might have found a good deal on a 40mW multi line agron. I need to know what one might be worth so I know if it is a good deal. It comes with a PSU.

daguin

Dr. Evil said:
I think I might have found a good deal on a 40mW multi line agron. I need to know what one might be worth so I know if it is a good deal. It comes with a PSU.

This is literally, "Whatever the traffic will bear."  

What is the brand?
How many hours is on the tube?
Is the tube the original tube?
Has it been recently removed from a machine or did it belong to a hobbyist?
Was it used by a "professional laser show person/company?
Is the PSU "matched"?
Is it lasing?
Have you seen a picture of the color lines displayed?
Have you seen a picture of the beam/spot?
Do you know the output at various currents?
Does it need and/or come with a remote interface?
Will you need anything else to make it work?
Has any part of it or the PSU been "hacked" to work?
Does it start on first click?
Does it blink out at high currents?
Will you get a warranty?
How much do you really "want" it?
Can you afford for it not to be up to your expectations?

I think that exposes the challenge associated with giving a value for an unknown laser.  You should only get involved with a gas laser if you have good assurances that it is operational and up to rated output.  Without that you should only risk as much money as you are willing to lose.  I have "recycled" more lasers than I have kept or sold.

Peace,
dave

The PSU is a 2101-40MLA the the laser is a 2201RD-40MLA. The seller claims it has 2100 hours on a replacment tube. It looks like it is good shape. The laser head is actually in a "box" with a fan. It looks similar to diachi's argon.

I know the setup you are talking about ($299 starting bid, right?). That is a pretty good deal for that setup. Those cyonics tubes (according to sam's FAQ) are waaaay overbuilt. They are very robust and can take a lot of abuse. My "40mW" cyonics multi-line unit does about 180mW @ 10.6A. I would say if you have the money, go for it. It looks like a good deal but these gas lasers are always a gamble. Make sure to ask for some recent pictures of the tube lasing.

diachi

Oh I got referred to ! :cool:

Yeah that looks like quite a good deal, there's a few people I know wanting it. if the tube and power supply are still in good working condition it could be pushed to powers well exceeding 40mW at a tube current of 10A.

I've seen a few remote interfaces on eBay that look like they would fit this too. Although if you couldn't find one or didn't have the money you could build your own Like myself and many others have done.

-Adam