Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How MUCH brighter is this laser?

Hey all,

Everyone on here seems to be extremely knowledgable.

I recently bought this laser:
2in1 Powerful Green Laser Pointer & Star Projector J09 - eBay (item 390075780858 end time Aug-03-09 17:44:20 PDT)

and although it has a nice bright beam, I would like to have something with a much more visible beam at night.

How much brighter would THIS laser be? (I would like to keep the kaleidoscope features if possible)

100mW 5 in 1 muti-function Green laser pointer£­>5~120mw green laser pointer£­>Laser&lighting products£­>www.0-like.com

Also with the 100mW laser, would it be dangerous if the laser beam hit someones eyes WITH the kaleidoscope cap attached?

Doofus

It'd be a lot brighter than the first one. You'd have a visible beam at night, whereas with the first one, it'd have to be foggy or humid.

I still wouldn't shine it in anyone's eyes with the kaleidoscope cap on.

There's really no way to tell ahead of time with the kaleidoscope on. Divergence and beam scatter are factors, as well as the fact that all the dots are different powered. It would be VERY different than the first one; the beam at night would instantly command attention.

If you are interested, Rayfoss just came out with a 100mW pen for 60$.

ZRTMWA

A green laser needs to be roughly 4 times mW output to be twice as bright i.e. a 200mW laser would be twice as bright as a 50mW laser. So I doubt it would be even twice as bright although O-like is a great company, buy from them.

Last edited:
A laser needs to be roughly 4 times mW output to be twice as bright i.e. a 200mW laser would be twice as bright as a 50mW laser. So I doubt it would be even twice as bright although O-like is a great company, buy from them.

Well the one I bought off E-bay is touted as 5mW (who knows how accurate that is based on what I've read on here about ebay lasers) but the other is 100mW, so 20x the power, that would be a LOT brighter right?

So the jump from 100 - 150mW is not huge jump in brightness then?

as far as how it looks to any casual observer is the jump in price probably not justified? (I'm ONLY worried about how bright the beam is, then maybe also how long it lasts on a pair of batteries)

D

Deleted member 8382

I don't feel this this way. I got the 50mW pen from DX and the 200mW from rayfoss and lol, there's a huge difference, 4 times brighter for me. I'll make a review with comparation soon.

Yours,
Albert

ZRTMWA

Anything I tell about lasers I've learned from this forum. It was in another thread probably still on the first page of the green section. Maybe the DX pen was underspec albert.

The jump from 5 to a 100 should be a lot brighter.

Edit: Found it. It was in this thread and probably in others as well: http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/150-nova-x-series-vs-150-premium-optotronic-43008.html

Both are good. I'd go for NOVA in this case since the host is better.
You won't see any difference on brightness even if the lasers are 10 or 20mW away from each other, members from this forum have concluded that you need 4 times the power of a green laser to see double the brightness.

Last edited:

Jaseth

Firstly I am pretty sure the one you have is about 30mW in fact - they just aren't allowed to list anything higher than 5mW on ebay.
Secondly, while the single laser point may not be hugely different in visibility between for example 30mW and 100mW (that would be a bit below double visibility), with the cap on a more powerful laser actually makes a really noticeable difference in the visibility of every single dot.

If I put my cap in front of my 300mW green labby, every single one of the hundreds of dots looks almost as powerful as the 30mW pen with no cap on its own. It really is amazing.