Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How many mA? (Toshiba Samsung SH-S162)

chido

A little more info would help. ;) Like what's the speed of the drive? What kind of diode is in it?

Sure, no problem. :D
It says nothing about the speed, all I have is some keywords: LightScrible, WriteMaster; DVD multi recorder, "ultra speed+"
June 2006

That's it, I think.

The red dide is an windowles can (round, standard) and I'm testing is at 120mA ATM.

I haven't harvested the IR diode yet.

chido

A windowless red??? Are you talking about an open can? I've never heard of a windowless red diode, only IR diodes. :-? Then again, Samsung drives are known to have weird diodes in them. ;D
If you don't know the speed and you don't have a power meter then you're going to have to base your current with temperature. Drive the diode at a certain current so that the module doesn't warm up until at least 1 minute of on time. I don't mean really warm, nor kinda cold, if you have a thermometer, then don't let the temperature get past 90 degrees Fahrenheit if you leave it on for a minute. (without any sort of heatsink, just the module alone)

Yup, no window. Typical that the fist ever red I've got is a mistery. :mad: ::)

"Fahrenheit" haha, that's great! I only understand Celsius, but sure there are some calkylator out on the www. ;D

Funny thing is that I'm not useing a module, don't have any ( :(). So I'm letting it stay in the heatsink and put it on a PC-heatsink and put a lens in front of it that I know works. This thing will only have to last for a day, I'm on a mission to build a 3 mirror spirograph over the weekend for some party.
I need as much power as possible, but it can NOT die on the show! How embarrassing.

Now at 120mA, it's far from spectacular in brightness. But it doesen't seem to feel hot tho.

Edit: Got it! You must mean 32 Celsius. :)

chido

Yes, around 32 Celsius. Then take the temperature of the small heatsink the diode is in. Just the diode and its heatsink, not the pc heatsink. You want to make sure the diode is able to keep itself cool for a minute without a lot of heatsinking. Then when you're done you'll be able to strap it to the pc heatsink and let it run for long periods of time without worrying about it overheating.

At 200mA, it took one minute to go from 20 to 32 degrees Celsius and it felt pretty warm. It's able to light a match. I used an outside digital thermometer secured with a zip tie to the LD-heatsink.

Does this make any sense? I have nothing to compare to, this is my first red.

And it DOES have a window, I just couldn't see it yesterday, not even with a magnifying glass to check the pin out. Weird.

Anyway, thanks for any help with this. :D

chido

Alright, 200mA should be good. Now use the PC heatsink and see if it does a good job at cooling the diode. Since you're going to use it in a spirograph you need to make sure it stays cool for long periods of time.
The diode shouldn't feel as warm as it felt when it was at 32 degrees, just a bit cooler than that.

PS, I knew it, there's no such thing as a windowless red. ;D

Well, I drank some earlier, makes my bad vision even worse. ;D

Here's how things look at the moment:
Redlaser001-1.jpg

Redlaser004-1.jpg

Redlaser005-1.jpg

Beam shots for later.

Video:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKa36xEx_2Q[/media]

Now in the heatsink, it doesn't go past 29 degrees Celsius. I'm very happy with the result so far. I mean, it works! :D
I wonder how many mw it is. ::)

FireMyLaser said:
Well, I drank some earlier, makes my bad vision even worse. ;D

Here's how things look at the moment:
Redlaser001-1.jpg

Redlaser004-1.jpg

Redlaser005-1.jpg

Beam shots for later.

Video:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKa36xEx_2Q[/media]

Now in the heatsink, it doesn't go past 29 degrees Celsius. I'm very happy with the result so far. I mean, it works! :D
I wonder how many mw it is. ::)

I really like the lens holder.

Thanks guys!

;D The lens holder is great! -simple, but effective.
The driver is rog8811's LM317 bench test circuit which does the job nicely.
>>Now's the time to build the spirograph.

Oh, D'OH! 29 Celsius = 84.2 Fahrenheit. [smiley=laugh.gif]

chido

Great, if it doesn't get past 84 degrees I think it should be ok.
My short open can diode is just in a bare aixiz module. I place it on top of a magnet with a fan blowing on it every time I use it.
A few weeks ago I let it run for an entire hour and the temperature didn't go above 87 degrees. (30 degrees celcius) Right now it has a total of 8 hours 43 minutes of total on time and it's still going strong. ;D