Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How long do PayPal transfers take?

From one Paypal account to another? I'm selling an item on Craigslist and the buyer claims they sent the money from their account to my account a few hours ago. I'm not seeing it though. Isn't it instantaneous between online accounts?

Now I look like I'm ripping them off if I say the money did not transfer to my account.

It's instant right?

-Tony

Should be fairly instant. Transfers show up in my account within 1-2 minutes at max. But that doesn't mean there's just some lag in their system or something :-/

rkcstr

If you didn't get an email from Paypal and it's not showing up in your account, the transfer hasn't occurred yet.

They are basically instant... even if they're doing an e-check where it takes some days to clear, you'll get instant notification.  My website orders have about a 1 minute difference between when the order is placed and Paypal's notification of payment via email.

Either that person is scamming you or they screwed up their payment and it didn't happen, which they should see that it isn't their account history if they are legit.  Why are they paying through Paypal and not cash if they're local, anyway?

daguin

Have them check the address that they sent the money to. If they misspelled your PayPal address, PayPal just sends a note to the "incorrect" address telling that address that there is money available. If they misspelled your address, they can cancel the payment and send a new payment to you. The only problem with this is that PayPal sometimes makes you wait a couple of days to "clear" the funds :mad:

Peace,
dave

rkcstr

Good idea Dave ;)

But, I think no matter the case, the money isn't just going to show up in your account...

So, assuming the person is for real, tell them to check the payment in their Paypal account, make sure the address is correct or see that it actually went through.

But, don't let them talk you into anything if you don't have an actual payment yet. Also, one of the problems with using Paypal for local transaction is the fact that there is no "proof of delivery", since some not-so-nice people can claim they never got whatever the money was for and file a claim or call their credit card company and reverse the payment and you're screwed because you have nothing to show that they actually did get the item as you would if you shipped the item with a tracking method.

daguin

True dat!

I have found more crooks on Craig's list than on eBay  :eek:

Peace,
dave
[highlight]
**EDIT**[/highlight] If they want to meet me and pick it up, they have to bring cash.

When dealing on craigslist I absolutely never take electronic payment, never ship anything, and never accept offers to ship things.

I've heard countless people complain about how many times they've been scammed on craigslist, yet by accepting nothing other than cash I've never had a problem.

Yes like others said payments via paypal are almost instant.

Do not ship the item until you get a conformation email from ebay saying you have a payment.

And yes Dave I also hate it when paypal makes you wait days until the payments clears :p

Thanx for the info guys.

So here is the skinny. I'm selling my Xbox 360 elite, games, and my controllers on Craigslist for $600. I get an email from a lady telling me they she wants to buy it for her grandson who lives, of all places, Nigeria! :eek: She is willing to pay me $850 if I send it directly and cover the shipping cost. Sending a 15 pound package to Nigeria will only cost around $150. So I said I would do it. I told here that as soon as I get the money transferred to my PayPal account I will ship it. So last night she emails me telling me she sent the money. I check my account.... nothing. WTH.... :mad:

Now I look like I'm ripping her off. I told her that I haven't got the transfer. She says she sent it to the correct email... What do I do.

I still have the Xbox. I don't see how this could be a scam. It's up to me to send it once I receive payment. I hope she didn't send it to the wrong address by error. If that is the case can she get it back?

-Tony

daguin

Xplorer877 said:
T
Now I look like I'm ripping her off. I told her that I haven't got the transfer. She says she sent it to the correct email... What do I do.

Stop answering her emails.

Peace,
dave

Xplorer877 said:
Thanx for the info guys.

So here is the skinny. I'm selling my Xbox 360 elite, games, and my controllers on Craigslist for $600. I get an email from a lady telling me they she wants to buy it for her grandson who lives, of all places, Nigeria! :eek: She is willing to pay me $850 if I send it directly and cover the shipping cost. Sending a 15 pound package to Nigeria will only cost around $150. So I said I would do it. I told here that as soon as I get the money transferred to my PayPal account I will ship it. So last night she emails me telling me she sent the money. I check my account....  nothing. WTH....  :mad:

I still have the Xbox. I don't see how this could be a scam. It's up to me to send it once I receive payment. I hope she didn't send it to the wrong address by error. If that is the case can she get it back?

-Tony
Yea, it's only an attempted scam right now. Your not scammed until you send the xbox to Nigeria.
oh, and once a paypal payment is made, it will show up on your account in a matter of minutes; but just because it does, that doesn't mean you are not being scammed. If you ship the item to anywhere other than the paypal verified shipping address for their paypal account and it ends up they were using a stolen paypal account, then you'll also be out your xbox and the $150 to ship it.
Stop all communication with this person.
I'm surprised they haven't offered to mail you a cashier's check with extra money included to cover your trouble and the shipping costs....

This is certainly a scam. As the president of Nigeria I can confirm no such person exists, however you may be interested to know I am recently inherited $10,000,000 and can help you ship your xbox to the right person. Simply send me a small fee to cover the transfer charges...

Well if it is a scam they are not doing a very good job. I'm not even unplugging my Xbox until I get the money in my account. I figured it's not a scam since she has to pay me before I ship it. It's on me not to scam her.

The whole thing does seem kinda odd. I'm gonna open the auction again on Craigslist.

Waste of my F@#$ing time! :mad:

Thanx guys

-Tony