Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How is the Law in the US?

Here in Sweden, it is allowed to import and possession all lasers. You can have a 100 000 W CO2-laser at home. But it is forbidden to have outside, more than 5 mW. My 1 000 mW was stopped in the custom, but all I had to do was to pay the toll (about $3,50).

But it is of course forbidden to light into neighbors, planes and helis. And it's on time that a prohibition to import it. :yabbem:

I shined an security guard (I am self a security guard), but on the tavern, with a green laser (with very low mW, not the 240 mW). He said he would stick it up my ass... :yh:
But I know him, so he let me in... :yh:

But, how is the law in the US?

Last edited:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on any points here.

Here is my understanding of the law in the US (I am by no means an expert lol).

1. You cannot legally import a laser pointer that is greater than 5mw.
2. It is not illegal to own a laser pointer greater than 5mw, only to import it.
3. While it is not illegal to own the laser, there are things that will get you in trouble (shining at any aircraft, cars, people, etc... Causing any damage with your laser, generally causing a nuisance with your laser (ie shining it on a movie screen for example)).

Some of the bad things done with lasers are taken very seriously like shining it at an aircraft and is a federal offense that will most likely send you to jail for a very long time. While things such as pointing it at a movie screen are generally less serious but still has the potential to send you to jail.

Needless to say, the general rule of thumb is to treat your laser just like you would a firearm and you should be OK.

Ok, thank you, so I should imort as much I have aford to, before they sharp the rules in Sweden!

Is there any consequence for importing >5mw to the us or will it just be confiscated?

There is no federal law against owning a laser regardless of output. There are often state or local laws, however. Sometimes state OSHA or environmental health laws exist prohibiting ownership but these are often related to medical laser systems. Use of the laser system in public, whether for profit or not is controlled by the FDA and requires a variance to operate. The states will also have their requirements.

Importing on the other hand is controlled. If the laser system has a valid accession number it can be imported. Generally, if your laser arrives labeled as a light pen or disco light or something of that nature it is not accessioned and was imported illegally. If caught by customs it will be destroyed. The FDA CDRH website has a list of known companies they look for regarding laser import. This is subverted in many cases by using another company name for shipping purposes.

Just keep in mind each incident the authorities become involved with only adds another nail to the coffin. Also bear in mind that authorities (police, pilots, OSHA, and other state departments) do report incidences to the federal departments. So if a company imports a laser illegally and it gets through but the local constabulary confiscates the unit because it is being used in a dangerous manner that report will end up on the desk of the FDA and that company will be added to the inspection list.

JIMS19

Right on the money Frothy Chimp, I am also very fond of the same things, not in that order-LOL.

S

Stephen j gilman

Wait I ordered a laser from o-like? I live in the USA. It was 250mw. Will it arrive? Am I introuble for owning it?

S

Stephen j gilman

But will it get in? And where can I find laser laws for USA?

Yes you will get it! Just do a search, it is in another thread I just can't remember wich one. The law just states that anything over 5mw is illegal to buy or import. If it was from WL you would have something to worry about and they would jst confiscate it is all that would happen.

S

Stephen j gilman

How will O-like make it past? Do they have their name on it?
Shit!!!! my mom orderd a wicked laser for me for Xmas alredy!?!?! The e3 Luna!!!

My tracking number only says it's shipped from Singapore on the 12 and hasent updated since then! Is it stuck in customs alredy?

I'm so worried!!!!

Yes you will get it! Just do a search, it is in another thread I just can't remember wich one. The law just states that anything over 5mw is illegal to buy or import. If it was from WL you would have something to worry about and they would jst confiscate it is all that would happen.

You're kind of contradicting yourself there.

The laser he mentioned was 240mw, so it is over the 5mw limit. To answer his question it depends on 'how' it is imported. There are many ways around the import issues, WL is having significant issues due to the high publicity but most other companies seem to rarely have issues so there is a good chance you will get your laser without any problems (and a slight chance you may run into issues). O'Like has had many lasers shipped to the US without any problems and generally has a good reputation here so I wouldn't expect to run into any problems with them.

WickedLasers however is a different story, they are currently being targeted so you run a much higher risk with anything imported by them. That being said the location the laser is sent through seems to have a strong impact on if it will be confiscated or not (west coast is seeing a much higher confiscation rate, particularly anything running through the SF Customs).

Last edited:

It is not illegal to buy or import high powered lasers. However, for legal entry into the United States, the lasers must have a proper accession number, which means the importer has filed with the FDA and received importation rights for that particular laser. That laser must meet specific safety, classification, and labeling guidelines in order to receive the accession number.

and as to gilmans question... your odds are very high of getting it from o-like. i can't remember ever reading of o-like's shipments not making it. although if you would have researched olike before you bought it you would have found some neat advice, like asking susie to ship your batteries and charger separate from the laser LoL.

michael.