Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How hard is it to install an IR filter?

Hey everyone...

So the story goes: I ordered my 350mW IR filtered greenie from Rayfoss and it was beautiful (~420mW) until the diode stopped outputting what it did before (down to ~70mW) (Note: didn't go over the duty cycle!!) so I sent it back and they repaired it for free and sent it back to me.

Works great now (420mW-480mW) but I realized they took out the IR filter and the IR light tested at 40mW. I'm obviously not complaining about the power loss because 380mW is still above the advertised 350mW that I bought it's more of the safety issue that I'm worried about...

I don't want to go through a whole 'nother send it back and have them fix it and send it back so I get it 50 months later so I was wondering a) how hard is it to install your own IR filter or b) if it is difficult would anyone be willing to do it for me/where could I get it done?

:thanks:

From the higher end lasers I've seen that have filters, it appears that they simply use glue or some other adhesive and attach the filter on the inside of the aperture. I'll search the forums and see what I can find, but if you have access to that area it should be semi-easy :D

http://optotronics.com/proddetail.php?prod=f-0006

^That's a filter sold by optotronics. The objective would be to get that little block in the laser so that it has to pass through it. Oh, and it'll probably come after all the other lenses, which is why I've seen filters placed at the aperture. Hope this helps! :D

Last edited:
From the higher end lasers I've seen that have filters, it appears that they simply use glue or some other adhesive and attach the filter on the inside of the aperture. I'll search the forums and see what I can find, but if you have access to that area it should be semi-easy :D

Optotronics Product Details

^That's a filter sold by optotronics. The objective would be to get that little block in the laser so that it has to pass through it. Oh, and it'll probably come after all the other lenses, which is why I've seen filters placed at the aperture. Hope this helps! :D

That doesn't sound all too hard! And pretty cheap too... Just hope they get more in stock soon... But wait is the IR that greenies emit the original 808 or the before-green 1064? Because that said it filters IR from 800-1000nm.

Does it matter where in position (lens-wise) it goes? I can try and get some pictures up here it might help but thanks that was really helpful!

I'm hoping a more experienced member jumps in here, buttt... I don't believe it matters what position it goes in. And I'm not really sure what IR a greenie would emit, but I believe it would be 808.

Also, I'm inclined to trust optotronics, but I know other places sell IR filters for more... just something to consider.

Sorry about all the uncertainty this time, I've never really "installed" my own ir filter xD

I'd e-mail or call them and explain the situation.
Maybe they will send you another IR filter, W/ instructions how to place it?

Letting them send an IR filter is the best way, it gets you a good filter and they don't have to repair the laser either (it's their mistake after all).

1st, don't use "SUPER GLUE" or ANY of the cyanoacrylate based glues, they give off fumes that will damage some or all the lenses in the laser. Also, don't worry about the position of the lens. It can go in any way, as long as it's flat against the inside of the aperture cap. Silicone glues work very well, but use them sparingly. I apply mine with a toothpick. Hope this helps you out some............ rob

The lens can go in at any angle, but I was told to install the filter at a slight angle if at all possible.

Is it a pen style pointer? If so, I read on here people using a flip-top style toothpaste cap over the pen. It would hold the IR filter in place, and act as a dust protector when closed. Cheap, yet effective.

1st, don't use "SUPER GLUE" or ANY of the cyanoacrylate based glues, they give off fumes that will damage some or all the lenses in the laser. Also, don't worry about the position of the lens. It can go in any way, as long as it's flat against the inside of the aperture cap. Silicone glues work very well, but use them sparingly. I apply mine with a toothpick. Hope this helps you out some............ rob

Thanks that's really helpful! Never would have thought to use a toothpick and had no idea what kind of glue would be good (I did, however, figure that using a regular glue-stick type wasn't the best plan).

The lens can go in at any angle, but I was told to install the filter at a slight angle if at all possible.

Is it a pen style pointer? If so, I read on here people using a flip-top style toothpaste cap over the pen. It would hold the IR filter in place, and act as a dust protector when closed. Cheap, yet effective.

It's more of a "portable" style laser. It already had a dust-slider-door-thingy (to be technically specific about it) but that could work.