Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How far is far enough for the human eye?

Wondering where I could find some information about eye safety and distance in relation to output power and wavelength. I am sure there are many factors that are involved with this type of calculation but there should be some general rules available.

I am posting in the green laser section because this is what I am primarily interested in. I have a new 1800mw 532 I have plans to make some great outdoor photos with in a local canyon and mountain top (using some bounce mirrors and burst optics). Although this is a remote area I am still concerned with safety for my help and anybody else who might be around we were unaware of....especially at a distance of a mile or greater.

Obviously we won't be pointing at aircraft or knowingly at people or wildlife but I still feel responsible to know the risks involved before I get started.

Until know the most green I have worked with is just under 400mw.

I tried searching but couldn't find specific information like this.

Anyone with a link?

Thanks,
Jeff

Exactly what I was hoping for! Thanks guys! I am already feeling a bit better about what we are planning.
Cheers!
Jeff