Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How far can I pop a balloon?

AaronT

Assuming a single diode laser and "off the shelf" optics, what diode would pop a flat black balloon at the longest range?

I'm debating a Phaser build.

My guess is a NUBM06E

But maybe with the better divergence a NDB7975 would be better?

Well when I was into burning I had a blue ray 16x diode build I liked. With a tripod and proper focus I think I made to over 80 feet!

My guess would have been the NUBM44 just because it has the highest power.

AaronT

Oh yeah then that should be better. How about versus the size of the NUBM08 spot?

Following that logic is why even at just 3 watts a NDB7975 might be even better.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows for sure.

Following that logic is why even at just 3 watts a NDB7975 might be even better.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows for sure.

Is that size of the spot for the NUBM06 with the ball lens or G2 lens? Where are you finding the sizes of the spots at?

DTR and the pics he takes comparing divergence of bare diodes.

I looked but I didnt see any pics of the comparisons from his website. I did see that he this about the NUBM08
I will add more details as I get time to test them. The divergence from first glance seems the same as the NUBM44.

AaronT

Hands down, the BDR wins. Though the 44 will pop them much faster at close range.

I guess I may have to PBS combine a pair of BDR-209s at some point.

How compact could the fast axis correction and beam expander for the 44 be made?

Last edited:
Hmm looks like I need to get me one of these BDR-209s :p put it in a micro pen build and whip it out just in case I see some balloons in the distance