Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

how easily can DX lasers break in your pocket?

hey guys im just waiting for my DX 50mW now, i still got another 14 buisness days though..
i was thinking since im gonna love this laser so much and play with it all the time its probably always gonna be with me, in my pocket. can these things easily break? or are they pretty strong?

The outer case is strong and you shouldn't expect that to break. The internals are a green DPSS laser scheme though, and even on the best made of lasers, this is a fragile setup. The DX lasers are particularly cheaply done so you will wantt o be careful about bumping it around too much and messing up the internals.

Also, if you're carrying it around with you in your pocket, you're gunna be getting lint, dust, etc up the aperture (hole in the front) and dirtying up the lens so you will have to clean that on occasion and hope it doesn't become permanently damaged.

Also, assuming you're in the US you may want to put some serious thought into your plan. Most police and such don't really know about the laws and you're not likely to run into issues, but nontheless these IIIB lasers without saftey features are not really legal and shining them around in public is a big no-no (as far as the law goes at least - the "long arm of the law" is a bit short in this area).

Zander

You're DX laser should be fine in your pocket, I've carried mine around practically everyday in my pocket through school for about 2 months. Just make sure you don't go in any bumper cars.

Also, don't be worried about the legal issues with it. Just take off the sticker and say it's >5mw if anyone asks and I'm pretty sure no cops would even know it's illegal.

Well, I probably shouldnt' be suggesting this, but if you're gunna take of the sticker like that, replace it with a 5mW one. Taking off the label only makes it even more illegal (so does replacing it witha fake one, but you're not likely to run into a lasercheck-equipped cop ;)).

mikeeey said:
hey guys im just waiting for my DX 50mW now, i still got another 14 buisness days though..
i was thinking since im gonna love this laser so much and play with it all the time its probably always gonna be with me, in my pocket. can these things easily break? or are they pretty strong?
I have carried my DX 50mw around in my pocket for awhile now, I don't feel its any cheaper made than WL. I recently seen the pictures posted of the wl core laser and I wasn't impressed. The outer casing may look a little better, maybe, but the insides are no better and that is what counts. I carry nothing else in the pocket with the laser and have placed a cap over the lens, so no lint/dirt gets in it. Before I got some caps, I used a 2x7 3mil plastic zip bag; that actually works very well, in fact you don't need to worry about other things in your pocket as much; because it can't get scratched that easily in the neat 3mil zip bag/sleeve. As far as the aperture sticker is concerned, I won't take that off; they would be clueless anyway and I think it's best to have a aperture sticker on it. It's a green laser of-course so they even cause less concern with the cops, some cops do warn people about red laser out in public, because they can be mistaken for someone pointing a gun at them, seeing a red dot on them; in a panic it might be a problem. Green much less chance of that. :cool:

S

SenKat

I am gonna argue with everyone on this point.....If you think legality might be an issue - don't carry it. Sorry to sound like a "Dad" on the forum, but seriously think a second on this one - if you are going to carry something illegal in your pocket, be prepared to face the consequences. Now, on the other hand, if you are not stupid with it, like shining at cars (like some idiot 39 year old on LC) or at people, or airplanes - then you should be fine. Only use it when you know it is safe to do so - and when there is no danger of harming anyone. It is a thing called common sense, and with it, you are pretty safe - but go clowning around with it all over the place, it will get confiscated, or worse !

picrthis said:
[quote author=mikeeey link=1181421831/0#0 date=1181421831]hey guys im just waiting for my DX 50mW now, i still got another 14 buisness days though..
I have carried my DX 50mw around in my pocket for awhile now, I don't feel its any cheaper made than WL. I recently seen the pictures posted of the wl core laser and I wasn't impressed. The outer casing may look a little better, maybe, but the insides are no better and that is what counts. I carry nothing else in the pocket with the laser and have placed a cap over the lens, so no lint/dirt gets in it. Before I got some caps, I used a 2x7 3mil plastic zip bag; that actually works very well, in fact you don't need to worry about other things in your pocket as much; because it can't get scratched that easily in the neat 3mil zip bag/sleeve. As far as the aperture sticker is concerned, I won't take that off; they would be clueless anyway and I think it's best to have a aperture sticker on it. It's a green laser of-course so they even cause less concern with the cops, some cops do warn people about red laser out in public, because they can be mistaken for someone pointing a gun at them, seeing a red dot on them; in a panic it might be a problem. Green much less chance of that. :cool:
[/quote]
im sry but what does WL mean lol. does that mean the DX lasers are strong or weak?

and SenKat, about the legal thing, yes i think i will be smart with it haha.

Aseras

I've put my DX200 through a fair bit of hell and it's better now than when I bought it ( it came with fingerpint on the internals ). I've finally gotten the lenses totally clear, and I've got a nice clean dot, that outputs a steady 120-130mw of green on nimh. i've tossed it aorund left in in my hot car, all kinds of crap and it's going strong.

I'm actually considering buying another one. the only thing holding me back is the 2 month wait I had on the first one.

S

SenKat

Yeah - I THINK the long wait is over now, as they have had a ton of orders with them, and they should have plenty in stock now - I COULD be way wrong, but you never know !

S

SenKat

mikeeey said:
so what exactly is the laser pointer's body made out of? metal?

Yes - it is an aluminum tube, that is painted black. The "breaking " of these refers not to physically busting the tube, or body of the laser - it is things like, knocking the lenses or crystals out of alignment, and getting dirt and debris on the lense.

Heh, though we did get one guy on LC who was looking for parts because he bent the tube of his laser in half... not sure if he ever did admit how that happened ;D

S

SenKat

pseudonomen137 said:
Heh, though we did get one guy on LC who was looking for parts because he bent the tube of his laser in half... not sure if he ever did admit how that happened  ;D

Oh, damn - that would SUCK !

pseudonomen137 said:
Heh, though we did get one guy on LC who was looking for parts because he bent the tube of his laser in half... not sure if he ever did admit how that happened ;D
lol