Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How do you adjust this drivers current.

That driver is a buck style driver. With two cells it might not be enough voltage fo that diode. But should work. You want to hook up a dummy load(sl sells) and use a multimeter to read it. Set it with the pot on top with a tiny screwdriver. Theres a lot of threads about using dummy loads

Garoq

Hey I am wondering how to adjust the current of this driver.
Survival Laser Adjustable Current Driver
If there is a easier to use on survival lasers for a 520nm laser feel free to reply.

Use a test load like this one:

3A Selectable Test Load

You will also need a digital multimeter.

Instructions on how to use the load here:

http://d11fdyfhxcs9cr.cloudfront.net/templates/180261/myimages/how_to_use_the_selectable_test_load.pdf

You place the assembled driver and pill in the host, attach it to the load, install your batteries, switch it on and adjust the driver's output with a very small screwdriver. Be sure the driver is attached to the load before turning it on. This photo also shows a small oscilloscope being used to observe the driver's waveform:

selectable_test_load_setup.jpg

Use a test load like this one:

3A Selectable Test Load

You will also need a digital multimeter.

Instructions on how to use the load here:

http://d11fdyfhxcs9cr.cloudfront.net/templates/180261/myimages/how_to_use_the_selectable_test_load.pdf

You place the assembled driver and pill in the host, attach it to the load, install your batteries, switch it on and adjust the driver's output with a very small screwdriver. Be sure the driver is attached to the load before turning it on. This photo also shows a small oscilloscope being used to observe the driver's waveform:

selectable_test_load_setup.jpg

Don't you need to adjust the pot. Also how do you measure the current output. In milliamps. By screwdriver turning you must mean the pot am I correct.

Last edited:
Yes, you adjust the pot with the small screwdriver.

I am using your Blitz Driver, can I remove the top while I adjust the pot. Also how do I enable low power mode on the Blitz.
What screwdriver should I use to adjust it?

Last edited:
I am using your Blitz Driver, can I remove the top while I adjust the pot. Also how do I enable low power mode on the Blitz.

You are using the rectangular Blitz linear? If so you can look at it and see the word "Lo" solder between the 2 pads just above the word "Lo" this will change it to low power 70mA-500mA.

The round BlitzBuck V5 is 1.5A-3A only.

Alan

You are using the rectangular Blitz linear? If so you can look at it and see the word "Lo" solder between the 2 pads just above the word "Lo" this will change it to low power 70mA-500mA.

The round BlitzBuck V5 is 1.5A-3A only.

Alan

Ok you just forgot to mention it needs to touch both pads. Also where do I put the driver. I don't want it rattling around. And yes I know to connect it to the blank battery pad.

Garoq

Ok you just forgot to mention it needs to touch both pads. Also where do I put the driver. I don't want it rattling around. And yes I know to connect it to the blank battery pad.

It depends on the host. For SL hosts it can go inside the heatsink and/or inside the space in the drilled pill. You may need to wrap it with a little electrical tape to keep it from moving around.

I have been working on a new C6 etc.-compatible pill that will allow direct heatsinking of these type drivers with thermal epoxy, hopefully I will have something to show in a few weeks.

Ok you just forgot to mention it needs to touch both pads.

What! I would have thought that is just common sense, I keep forgetting that common sense is very uncommon. What would make someone think it would do anything without connecting both pads? We are talking about this driver right?
Survival Laser Driver

Also where do I put the driver. I don't want it rattling around. And yes I know to connect it to the blank battery pad.

It depends on what host you are using, but usually you would solder it directly to the diode pins and then solder to the battery contact board.

Alan

What! I would have thought that is just common sense, I keep forgetting that common sense is very uncommon. What would make someone think it would do anything without connecting both pads? We are talking about this driver right?
Survival Laser Driver

It depends on what host you are using, but usually you would solder it directly to the diode pins and then solder to the battery contact board.

Alan

Oh so you cant just put solder on both ends you must connect them that makes sense. Remember this is my first laser. I don't want to make any mistakes.

Garoq

You need an extremely small flat blade screwdriver. One that is sized for tightening eyeglass screws should work, like 1 or 1.2mm.

http://www.amazon.com/Precision-Screwdriver-Eyeglass-Jewerly-Repair/dp/B00S6ZDFJE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1440369424&sr=8-3&keywords=mini+precision+screwdriver+set

Alan, thanks for responding to the other question. :)

Oh so you cant just put solder on both ends you must connect them that makes sense. Remember this is my first laser. I don't want to make any mistakes.

Also to avoid rattling I will tape the driver to the side with electrical tape. That should work.

Just make sure the driver components don't directly contact any exposed metal surfaces.
Oh then after the current is adjusted I will disconnect the test load and hook up the diode. Then rap it up in electrical tape and then tape the rapped electronic to the side.