Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

how do i know what protection goggles to get?

I recently took a laser diode out of a dvdrw drive and made my own driver.
I got it too work but I dont know what nm it is
what goggles should i get?

thanks

Teej

I recently took a laser diode out of a dvdrw drive and made my own driver.
I got it too work but I dont know what nm it is
what goggles should i get?

thanks

What color is the beam? (Its for a DVR)

:D

Last edited:

Teej

the beam is red

Red is ~ 622 - 780 nm, so a goggle that covered that range would be a good start.

Depending on the power level, you'd then spec a protection factor for that wavelength.

If you use, or plan to/would like to, use other color lasers too, they make goggles that can cover more than one range.

They can't cover ALL ranges, as then you would see NOTHING of course.

If the laser doesn't have IR shielding and might produce additional emissions, your goggles should also cover the IR end of the spectrum as well.

Last edited:
The goggles you need will be dark blue in color and you will barely be able to see anything with them on. I would provide a link or two but we don't even know what country your in so just follow the above advice.

Alan

Red is ~ 622 - 780 nm, so a goggle that covered that range would be a good start.

Depending on the power level, you'd then spec a protection factor for that wavelength.

If you use, or plan to/would like to, use other color lasers too, they make goggles that can cover more than one range.

They can't cover ALL ranges, as then you would see NOTHING of course.

If the laser doesn't have IR shielding and might produce additional emissions, your goggles should also cover the IR end of the spectrum as well.

thanks!

how do i know if the laser has IR shielding

Only DPSS lasers need an IR filter. If it's a red laser it doesn't produce any IR, only DPSS and IR lasers do, it is most likely 650nm or maybe 635nm or 638nm. Don't worry about it, just get goggles for red.

Alan

i have looked for protection goggles and they range from $150-$10
do the cheap ones protect your eyes?

I would provide a link or two but we don't even know what country your in so just follow the above advice.

Alan
i am in the USA

i have looked for protection goggles and they range from $150-$10
do the cheap ones protect your eyes?

i am in the USA

Some of the cheap ones will, I have some I bought on Amazon for red lasers that I think we're $15.95 and they are good but not all cheap ones are OK.

You need to add that to your profile, stating it once in a thread won't help.

No these are better for red: Eagle Pair® 190-400nm & 580-760nm Laser Safety Goggles because they cover the full range of red.

Alan

Teej

I mentioned the IR protection in the context of the question as to if he might get or already have another laser, etc....and therefore perhaps need goggles with more than one range of coverage.

As to the PF, the power of the device(s) should be considered. (No info yet on that...?)

I did say what "red" might include as far as wavelength (~ 622 - 780 nm), and, as recommended, the goggles should include, minimally, ALL of that range...as you don't KNOW the exact wavelength, only that it is "red".

:can:

Last edited: