Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How do I get a 1N4006 to work on the new style O-Like driver?

Evening all!
I have a few questions I hope someone can help me with...

I've got one of the new style O-Like modules which voltage range is 3-3.7v
but would ideally like to use one of my better 17670 batteries rather than a shorter lived 3-3.7v RCR123

Id like to know if it's at all possible to solder a diode to the driver board to reduce voltage to the 808nm laser diode?

From reading in the forums I think I maybe correct in thinking the 1N4001 drops the voltage by 0.7v , which would mean my 4.2v 17670 batt would get dropped to 3.5v
which would be an acceptable voltage for my module right?

LarryDWF just meantioned a 1N4006 diode for my green driver module, so my noob question is what is the difference between a 1N4001 & 1N4006 in relation to this module?
Thanks.

The only difference between a 1N4000 all the way up to a 1N4007 is the
reverse breakdown voltage...

Like bobhaha stated.... just look for the Diode Data Sheet on google...
(a 5-15 second search)

Opps he already did....:whistle:

Jerry

yeah I actually found that via google but unless yer an electronics wiz
who knows what it all means its a tad confusing!

All I really wanted to know is where to connect the diode on the driver board & in simple
terms why the 1N4006 works best!

going off to research reverse breakdown voltage...

Ok.. I'll help you out a bit, a diode is a PN junction meaning it is two semiconductors that are sandwitched together. When sandwiched together they form a resistance barrier (making this as simple as possible), this is the threshold voltage for the diode, for example 0.7v threshold voltage in this case. In this case the reverse voltage breakdown voltage is the voltage in which the resistance barrier is overcome, this is usually larger then the forward voltage because it has to literly push electrons the oppersite way across the PN junction, overcoming the barrier.

Each diode 1n4000-1n4007 have different reverse breakdown voltage and each must be suited to the application. You just have to make sure the voltages and currents are within the range of the diodes specs... you can check the specs at the PDF file I showed you before.

http://www.diodes.com/datasheets/ds28002.pdf

Now.. the diode usually has to be in series with load, so in this case (correct me if I'm wrong) you must put the diode in series with the battery pack and the driver. so for example you place the battery pack neg wire on one side (anode) then place the driver on the other side of the diode (cathode, shown by the white strip).

Any more help, don't hesitate to ask! -Adrian

I found this:
reverse breakdown voltage: The amount of reverse bias that will cause a diode to break down and conduct in reverse.
reverse bias?
reverse bias: A condition in which a PN junction does not allow a flow of electric charge(current) to flow
PN junction?
The PN juction: A PN junction allows current to flow in one direction only.

Adrian, I appreciate you taking the time to help out but think im gonna buy a few books to understand electronics at this level!,as this is a bit beyond me!
I just dont get those mega high VR(RMS) & VRWM figures from the datasheet.

Thanks all the same.

Its not that hard

Diode: Max reverse bias/breakdown voltage: Average safe reverse voltage:
1N4001 50V 35V
1N4002 100V 70V
1N4003 200V 140V
1N4004 400V 280V
1N4005 600V 420V
1N4006 800V 560V
1N4007 1000V 700V

These diodes are typically around 0.7 - 1 v forward voltage, so expect that when designing you power supply... meaning these can fluxtuate in certain situations, eg high temp, impurities, qualities etc..

BTW you might wanna read these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-n_junction (this will explain forward voltage/bias and reverse bias)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diode

Hope that helped! -Adrian

Last edited: