Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

how common are 1 W+ green handheld lasers nowadays?

ixfd64

Green handheld lasers have steadily increased in power over the past few years. So I'm wondering, how often do they exceed 1,000 mW in output these days?

I remember Laserglow once had a Hercules that peaked at 1.1 watts and landed it in the Guinness World Records. However, it may have been built specifically for that purpose as I could very little information about that particular laser. More recently, there was an LPF member who measured the peak output of her Jetlasers PL-C at 1.2 watts. Not surprisingly, the accuracy of her LPM was called into question. Of course, there are many other companies that claim to have 1 W+ lasers, but most of them are probably scams.

Given that Nd:YVO4 and KTP can peak at 60% and 80% efficiency (respectively) in optimal conditions, it would not be impossible for handheld laser to reach 1.2 watts (0.6 * 0.8 * 2.5 W pump diode). But of course, it is very difficult to attain such conditions, especially for portable lasers.

Last edited:

I have personally LPMed a green handheld that does 1W+. Friend, who is also a forum member, owns it. He went through six lasers to get that one though...

All in all, at least watching the forum, they are still very rare, there have been maybe five to seven or so where accuracy was not in question.

Over 600mW is much more common.

I personally put any 532 over 700 mW to be ALMOST in the same bracket as a 1W.

Visually there is almost no difference. If I had a 532 that makes 700mW in order for your to 'see' a doubling in preceived brightness the brighter laser would need to be ~2800mW - it takes a factor of 4 not 2 unless you are measuring with a LPM. Also as you go 'bigger' problems like mod hopping- stability- artifacts- flaring etc become more common.

ATM I have a JL Pl-E 500mW FS at $460- & I would rather have one of these in each hand at $920/pair than a 1300$ 1+W in one hand. I would be able to have at LEAST one running all the time- while the 1W IMHO would need a rest cycle unless the life span of the 1W was of no concern.

Lasever offers a .8W green module for building your own ~1W 532($$$ pricey!!) -- see the video at Youtube ' 199 balloon pop'(iirc) it was done with the 1W Lasever module- to purchase Lasever products you can get them through me or Jayrob.

Last edited:
I personally put any 532 over 700 mW to be ALMOST in the same bracket as a 1W.

Visually there is almost no difference.

I will second this... looking at the beams side by side, yes you will be able to tell the difference, but it is not a "WOW that's so much brighter" effect, rather "Oh yeah, this one looks just a little more solid/bright."

In this regard, beam specs also matter BIG TIME. I would rather have a smaller beam, with better divergence, than just more power.

<---Edit: Post number 10,532 talk about good timing :tinfoil:

Last edited:
^^^ all very true.. A cheaper laser that dies too soon is no bargain

here is the vid- and my correction-sry

from lasever, type: LSR532PL-- sold as a 800mW 532 module-
OOps- not 199- ONLY 190 balloons -my bad!

video by numquamretro·

Green laser handheld 190 balloon pop record in a row 800mw lasever module not krypton Laserpointer - YouTube
^^ if this links does not work just go to utube and search by maker or
search this...

'Green laser handheld 190 balloon pop record in a row 800mw lasever module'

The one balloon he kicks over was what we call a 'leaker' A hole was made in the balllon by the laser but it did not 'pop' it eventually would have deflated but waiting apparently was not wanted so he kicked it with his foot in order to move on..

Last edited:
i allready bought another 400 balloons to get past the 200 ;)

but as for the power, i still don´t know the exact output since my first lpm source didn´t work out (havent heared from seller anymore). but now i am waiting to get a calibrated lpm from alex (ARGlaser) and then we´ll see what it does.
as for the divergence, i can tell you it´s very good. i calculated it at about 0,8-0,9mrad (and i tried to be very exact with measuring, went for long distance).

so, hopefully i get the lpm soon -Alex? :)