Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"Hotlight" custom for continuous duty

I posted a thread about a side-clicky host a few days ago. It turns out that if it isn't a Hotlight host, then it's a very similar clone!
cVpg1Tf.jpg

So, I found DTR's build HERE and want to do a similar build in this host, but for longer runtimes and a bad a$$ heat sink for the driver,
I want to use DTR's flexdrive heatsink found here.

So, here's my plan so far. Tell me what you think:

1) Remove the spacer and plastic "pill" that holds the switch.
UDEJnVq.jpg

2) Grind and solder together (3) golden $1 coins, drill hole for positive lead.
This will replace the original plastic spacer that sits between the switch "pill" and the future heat sink.
lN43w44.jpg

YnBxgMn.jpg

With some solder on the sides, they'll turn the whole host into a heat sink!

3) Cut down switch "pill" like in DTR's build here.

cVpg1Tf.jpg

4)Isolate the (+) lead on switch from new driver "coin pill" and drill a hole for the lead to pass through to the driver.
FgTxJFr.jpgg

5)Solder the leads on the driver, glue it to the heatsink, add diode/module/sink.

Here's some questions for you until I can get some dimensions:

1) Like DTR's host, I want to use a 22600, if it will fit. Notice the cap in relation to the battery sled in there now:
pS7ypIs.jpg
oWlymkF.jpg

Is the length of the 22600 the same as the 3AAA sled? What about an 18650 modification?

I haven't decided which driver to chose for this, nor which diode...It's going to be a HP Red or Blue...just need to pick. I just wanted to get the forum's thoguhts on this build.

DTR

Not sure if that is one of the common Hotlights as I don't remember seeing that specific one. Yep the 22650 should be pretty much a perfect fit to replace the 3XAAA holder.:beer:

Also on that host it looks like those coins don't make contact with the host body. You may be better off mounting the coin or the driver on the back of the heatsink when you get it made so the heat has somewhere to go instead of just a little storage container that is insulated. See this one.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/c...t-w-driver-heatsink-mod-56660.html#post800377

Last edited:
OK! I'm up and running with my first update! I ground the faces flat on three (3) gold $ coins. Once I got them all smooth enough, I made a ring of solder to fit the inside of the face and hit them with a butane lighter. The first 2 went together in a sinch, and just needed a little noodling to line them up together. Then I made another solder ring and placed the last coin....with much more butane. I finished them off with a small hand rasp and polished just a tad on the bench grinder/brush. The drilling will have to wait until I get it to a good drill press.
dHGdagV.jpg
1eaJtWe.jpg

I've chosen to build this with DTR's 300mw 650nm in module. In this red host, I don't know that any other beam but green would do.

on a side note, i hope those $1 coins were not what they look like. from the pictures they appear to be the mint error $1 George Washington coins. those coins were a big issue for the mint and they made many errors on those coins so value of them vary greatly but still.

They were not the George Washingtons. IIRC they were Andrew Jacksons...a real bastard American.

haha, i see, i didnt know about the mint error until i found a few Washington's and then saw those and just wanted to check. glad you are putting them to good use :beer:

Last edited: