Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Host for an 803T? (& other Q's)

Ive seen some burning blu rays recently, and Ive posted this topic to ask questions about that.

I understand that for a burning blu ray, an investment in a heatsink is a good idea. I am thinking of getting an MXDL as a host and using Jay's heatsink in it.
But, my question is, what components are compatible with an 803T diode? Do Aixiz modules do the job fine? What driver would I be looking at?

For the driver, would I need a multimeter so I can tell when to stop putting the current up? I heard 150mA is the top point it should be run to.

TL;DR: I want to make a burning blu ray, is an MXDL compatible and what other parts would I need.

PS: Ive heard about using protected 10440 batteries for it. Good idea?

el-taco said:
Ive seen some burning blu rays recently, and Ive posted this topic to ask questions about that.

I understand that for a burning blu ray, an investment in a heatsink is a good idea. I am thinking of getting an MXDL as a host and using Jay's heatsink in it.
But, my question is, what components are compatible with an 803T diode? Do Aixiz modules do the job fine? What driver would I be looking at?

For the driver, would I need a multimeter so I can tell when to stop putting the current up? I heard 150mA is the top point it should be run to.

TL;DR: I want to make a burning blu ray, is an MXDL compatible and what other parts would I need.

Yes Aixiz or Sure modules work great for the 803T diodes, or any diode for that matter.

use a Flexdrive lavadriver from DrLava. can't go wrong with those as it takes pretty much any kind of battery you put in there. If you can get 7V you can use the rkcstr drivers but this is usually a bit high for batteries.

and yeah you should get a multimeter, they are handy to have for stuff not regarding lasers and I think everyone should have one. 150mA is a bit high for your first build, try 100mA or 120mA first.

and MXDL's are a good host yes. you'll need the batteries to go with it, my MXDL's use CR123 batteries, it depends on ur type of MXDL, some use AAA's.

good luck

jayrob

el-taco said:

Yes, I second what sk8er4514 said.

If you are going to use one of my heatsinks, this host will work great:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4171
It will take 3.6 volt batteries, or 3.0 volt batteries. For the FlexDrive, 3.0 volt batteries will be needed, along with a silicon diode between the batteries and the driver:
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1210054203

In my heatsink thread, I refer to this host as the 'Red build' host, but now that we have the boost circuits, such as Lava's FlexDrive, this host is also an excellent blu-ray host. (low range FlexDrives will be available soon, I am told)

If you want to maximize the power of your blu-ray build, and money is no object, use a Meredith glass lens in that host. My heatsinks can be ordered to fit either module...
Jay

I just (literally, 5 mins ago) bought a 803T diode from TheMonk.

Money is SORT OF an object... I can obtain said money for some effort (not theft, just doing things for people).

Question: If I build this laser then I want to make it better, can I take the diode OUT of the Aixiz module and put it in a Merideth module?

Thanks for both your replies. I would +1 rep you both if I could.

jayrob

Changing modules, is like doing a second build. The heatsink would have to be sized different as well. Once the diode is pressed into the module, or 5.6mm adapter (in the case of the Meredith), it is easy to damage it if you try to extract it for mounting into a different module.

To save money, there is nothing wrong with an AixiZ module for your blu-ray build. Just cut the back of the plastic 'nut' to allow more light out!
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1207011306/24#29
Jay

o yeah, good point jay, you should cut out the back of the aixiz module for a few extra mW's. I use a knife and cut like 5 slits along it then use a pointed metal tip tool that came with my soldering iron to peel the plastic flaps out and bend them off.

and don't try to take a diode out of a module. it's not worth the risk involved as jay mentioned, if you want to build one with a meredith module later, just buy 2 diodes and make another laser :)
2 lasers > 1 broken laser

Okay thanks for the tips.
I might make a red MXDL build in the future aswell, or maybe a Dorcy Jr. build, providing I can get a heatsink.

I am still not too sure on which driver to get. Are you referring to DrLava's Micro Flexdrive? And could you explain to me the silicon diode? Where would I acquire (from a site that accepts paypal).

I can now give rep and am proceeding in +1ing you.

The silicon DIode is used in applications with a 6v input( it is supplied with the flex driver for free and has instructions for its use). The flexdrive normally operates on a supply volatage of 2.5-5v. YOu need to decide what host your going to use to figure out the driver that will support the power your supplying it( as the Rckstr driver needs a higher input voltage).

jayrob

el-taco said:
Im planning on using http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4171 which runs off 2x CR123a, so thats 6V.

What driver will support that?

For that host, with a blu-ray build, you will want a low range FlexDrive from drlava. The link I posted above shows a picture of how to connect the silicon diode that he provides with each driver. You will use 2 X 3.0 volt lithium primaries.

The driver current will have to be set, with a load on the driver. Use 6 silicon diodes in series. Here is a diagram using 4. :
http://www.laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1197651171#1
Notice the direction of the positive/negative. You really don't need the 1 ohm resistor. Just set your DMM for mA.
They are cheap, here's a link to the part:
http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=1N4001DICT-ND
Jay

jayrob said:
[quote author=el-taco link=1214825434/0#8 date=1214922929]Im planning on using http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4171 which runs off 2x CR123a, so thats 6V.

What driver will support that?

For that host, with a blu-ray build, you will want a low range FlexDrive from drlava. The link I posted above shows a picture of how to connect the silicon diode that he provides with each driver. You will use 2 X 3.0 volt lithium primaries.

The driver current will have to be set, with a load on the driver. Use 6 silicon diodes in series. Here is a diagram using 4. :
Jay
[/quote]
For current regulated drivers, I use a CREE or Luxeon LED to measure the load. I like to be able to see the brightness change as current is changing.  :p

Here is how you calculate the power of FlexDrive if you don't have anything to put on the load. ;)

1000 / Ohm = Amp or 1000 / Amp = Ohm

Let say you want 125mA output, 1000 / 0.125A = 8000 Ohm (set the pot to 6000 Ohm there is a 2000 Ohm resistor in series with pot)

... yes? I posted a link to the order page... He asked where he could order it from...
:-?