Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Host Design [in progress]

I attempted my first host design in Autodesk Inventor today as I had a little free time. Please give me some advice as to what I should do to make it better or just feel free to give me whatever comments you want to.

4qW5H.png

kbRl6.png

HjOVe.png
G7Zxu.png

ZNUaY.png

This picture here ^ shows an 18650 battery inside of the host (battery is 18.6mm x 65.2mm).

Last edited:

Looking good, +1.

My only criticism, the gap between the bottom of the battery and the tailcap is awfully large, maybe make it smaller to decrease weight and length?

Put some fins in on the head. Put some detail in. Looks very plain imo.

I too agree that some detail is needed. It looks like it would look pretty cool with some minor alterations to the shape.

sinner

Looks perfect to my eyes.. I will not suggest the same as the others, If anything i could do just ask!

Thank you for all the nice comments guys. I realized I did forget one thing though. I forgot to put in a set screw for a heatsink. I'm thinking I should put two screws inside the head going up into the pill area. I also realized that I will have to slightly modify the focus ring since it currently would not connect to the lens. Oh well. At least I have most of the design done.

About the tail cap, I didn't purposely leave a giant gap, it just sort of ended up being there after I just guessed at the size of the clicky switch and didn't really worry about it. I will be shrinking the tail cap so that it doesn't have the big gap, but I will also make it optional for the extended tailcap, which will allow for 3x rcr123a's to be used.

Edit: I added holes for set screws and added two more pictures. One shows the shortened tail cap and the other provides a slightly better view of the internals. I will work on a driver and heatsink to add into the head.

Last edited:

Ciaran

I have a suggestion, maybe you could consider adding holes for these 'Tritium vials'. They're basically radioactive vials of fluorescent colours that continue to glow for over 10 years. It's just a suggestion, and maybe it will make a lot of difference! They are featured in this thread (scroll down a bit to get to the Tritium): http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-pocket-mini-build-kit-easy-assembly-22537.html

Last edited:
FlaminPyro also uses tritium vials in some of his work. They are amazing and I have a couple things made with them. Tritium is supposed to glow in upwards of 20 years but the tiny size may limit it a little.

I recommend changing the shape slightly. It looks like a dilda style laser, if you know what I mean. :p

Ciaran

Ahahaha! ^
Maybe you could give it some ridges, or cone shaped indentations...

I think what you see doing that is the focus adapter. Honestly I agree and maybe just making it a flat end almost like a mag light shape might get away from that look.

I just came up with a great idea for the focus ring. I will be revising the current cone-shaped focus ring and making it much more unique (and possibly even easier to manufacture?).

I'm not sure if I want to include the tritium vials or not, but I have seem them around here in some pics before.

Finer details will be added once I can manage to finalize the important aspects to make sure the driver and diode/module will properly fit.