Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Host: Cree Small Sun ZY-A10 [mini review, pic heavy]

Hey guys,

So JaiNobez here ordered this host to me, so I can make a laser in it.
And it's so awesome that I decided to review it alone.

Starting off, it's so cool...

P5150381.jpg

...that it throws the picture into blue color cast.

:D

You take it apart by removing the crown and the ribbed part of the head which looks like shrapnel:

P5150383.jpg

You can further remove the piece which holds entire head to the barrel, to reveal the connection boards:
P5150384.jpg

Which can be removed:
P5150385.jpg

P5150387.jpg

Connection board in place with connector attached, to provide connections for P60 drop ins this baby takes:
P5150388.jpg

Now, ofcourse, we will not be using it as a light with crappy P60 derp-in it came with.

So, trip down to the basement, cut some aluminium stock, put in lathe on 40 minutes times, PING, done.
P5150390.jpg

Yes it's the one in the damned middle. One on the left is UF 501B heatsink, on the right is Cree C6 heatsink (direct diode pressfit, hence smaller bored hole there at the top, not yet threaded.

I have made it a small intrusion on the back for NJG18 driver to sit comfortably.
P5150391.jpg

Heatsink is exactly 40 mm long. Tell ya what, it's dying for a highly driven 445nm diode. Which is what it'll get.

Installed like so:
P5150392.jpg

Into the grenade, uhh, head piece, then threaded together with an assault crown:
P5150393.jpg

Then...
P5150314.jpg

That threaded together with the connector board piece there and there you go.

P5150382.jpg

P5150318.jpg

P5150315.jpg

Host bought from PriceAngels, but I have lost the link to it.

Host takes a standard 18650 cell with space to spare, or two 16340 no worries.

Highly reccomended.

umss

Exciting! :D I can't wait for mine to come, it will give you the chance to make a pretty one ;)

I hope it's pink and not red..

Last edited:
Thanks guys! :)

I'm glad you like it.

Dimensions for heatsink saved, so if anybody wants to buy any, you can get them from me.

[/shameless-self-advertising]

On mine I made it so that the tactical crown is the focus adapter.
I've got a LOC in it now....

Last edited:

SLPbum

I really like that host...
Looks intimidating!!! love it

RDCII

Wow, cool Moh!

I made it a little different as you see, my heatsink is being held between the head piece and the crown (I've excluded the little retainer ring all together), and the big spring, the heatsink just presses against the bare aluminium in the metal piece below when fully threaded, providing electrical contact, and some small thermal one too.

So wonderful. Feel free to express your jealousy, preferably in the form of a +rep with Eudaimonium's name on it. Looks so evil and powerful, like something an evil mad scientist would whip from the inside pocket of their jacket and use to vaporise their foes, or like some dumb metalhead would use to thump a poor unsuspecting peasant on the head with.

Really looking forward to it getting here. Thanks Eudaimonium! :D

Hahaha, take it easy there Jai. Or write a book.

Anyhow, yeah no worries. Anytime. I mean I'm getting payed for this. :p

Tonga

That really is a nice host, and very nice lathe work:bowdown::bowdown:!!

Hahaha, take it easy there Jai. Or write a book.

Anyhow, yeah no worries. Anytime. I mean I'm getting payed for this. :p

How dare you silence me!? If i want to rant about your good work, I WILL RANT!!! :scowl::mad::yabbmad::banghead:

:crackup::crackup:

Anyway, glad you all like it. Most people I've showed it to complained about it... including Eudaimonium, who changed his mind after he'd held it. :p

Last edited:
LOL JaiNobeZ :D

It's true, I didn't like the looks of the host at first. But after seeint it first hand, I am really starting to like it. I will surely buy one or two of those for my personal collection afterwards.

For some bizarre reason user Pilgor +repped Chez for this post. The message on the +rep was "Eudaionium". What an odd series of events.

Exciting! :D I can't wait for mine to come, it will give you the chance to make a pretty one ;)

I hope it's pink and not red..

Eudaimonium has now finished this laser. If powered with two CR123s or 16340s it cranks out a Watt and if powered with an 18650 it does ~200mW. I'm waiting with bated breath for him to upload!

(Btw, save all that "double post" nonsense :p)