Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hopped up 1/18 scale RC monster truck!

Ace82

As the title says, I've taken a Durratrax Mini Quake and beefed it up a little, ok ALLOT!

With a Thunderpower 7.4V 2100mA LiPo battery, Castle Creations Mamba 25 brushless esc, and the 430 Large Align outrunner brushless motor.... the same motor I had in my RC heli (upgraded to a 450XL), and is used for 450 sized T-Rexs'  I must say this thing books!  

Btw, this is the second 1/18 scale RC I've built this way, I also made the Vendetta the same way, only using a crappy Walkera brushless motor which seems to work just fine on  the dunbuggy...
:cool:

I forgot to add that this thing loves off roading!  :p

Attachments

• quake.jpg
    quake.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,733

FokoF

I got a losi triple x s and a Gs storm 1:8 buggy.... can you smell burning rc fuel? :D

Ace82

FokoP said:
I got a losi triple x s and a Gs storm 1:8 buggy.... can you smell burning rc fuel? :D

Well I also have the Traxxas Nitro Rustler with a upgraded engine from 2.5 to 3.3.

This brushless motor with LiPo power really has some power... Not sure which is faster, nitro or electric... ::)

Ace82 said:
[quote author=FokoP link=1228368182/0#2 date=1228394670]I got a losi triple x s and a Gs storm 1:8 buggy.... can you smell burning rc fuel? :D

Well I also have the Traxxas Nitro Rustler with a upgraded engine from 2.5 to 3.3.

This brushless motor with LiPo power really has some power... Not sure which is faster, nitro or electric... ::) [/quote]
an electric rc car has the world speed record of 137mph so i wouldnt be surprised if it was :D

Nice car ace :)

Only thing left to do is slap a medusa, scorpion 6t or 450th (450W IIRC) motor onto the car, ;) and watch it rip appart tarmac ;D But also eat at batteries etc...

Kidding of course the 430L (or XL?) makes calling this complete overkill and understatement of epic proportions. How much runtime you get per set of batts? The 430 is a pretty efficient motor IIRC?

JLSE

While electrics can be quite impressive, you gota love a  nitro .26 squeeling past with the engine hitting 40,000rpm :)

I wouldnt mind this nitro V-12 in my buggy frame :eek:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mutb7KgA9NM&feature=related[/media]

wannaburn said:
While electrics can be quite impressive, you gota love a nitro .26 sqeeling past with the engine hitting 40,000rpm :)

I wouldnt mind this niro V-12 in my buggy frame :eek:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mutb7KgA9NM&feature=related[/media]

Oh yeah a .26 is a beast of a nitro engine. Especially if its from RB concepts or the like. Friend had one in a savage....insane. Anyone have an LST, how did that turn out, it was coming out right around the time I moved back to Europe and sort of stopped following the rc car scene. From the specs and pics it looked like a beast.

I really like the Fantom .12 Rear Exhaust engine in my xxx-nt IIRC 1.xx hp at 43k RPM :) Sounds like a bushwhacker on meth but goes like a bat out of hell, love the engine, price was great too.

That V12 looks pretty cool, is it from the same guy/group who made the v-8 miniature?

JLSE

My buggy is a 1/8th OFNA ULTRA 4wd, but is now almost complete custom. Its the only one like it for a few reasons...

I made a push button onboard start powerd by 4 CGR-18650-C Panasonic Lithiums, which also run any onboard electronics. The starter motor is the same as the motor in my electric 1/12 scale ::)

I changed out the original .25 OFNA for a Dynamite Mach .26, which I bored out the sleve and fuel ports, and now drains the tank in 5 mins instead of 15 ;)

All the torque is put through a two speed auto trans, and diff's that have thick consistantcy silicone oil. Basically it drives like posy in the rear and an LSD in the front.  

I had to mod the carb to keep up with its ability to suck down the fuel. I also have a supercharger in the works for it, and am also playing with a turbo concept. The turbos apparently are a pain, and will probably stick with the supercharger project.

I havent clocked it with radar, but I havent seen a faster car up close yet. It grunts like a muscle car, and doesnt hit 40,000 but can achieve its top speed in seconds. I have to govern the throttle unless I run it in large open area :cool: And the super soft street tires go on for the traction.. Or elese... :eek:

My electric is also 4wd from Tamiya, the motor is a hand wound 10turn beast. I was never into electrics all that much after my first nitro, but had been into hand winding motors since I was a kid. Always hated the charging batteries thing, so that one stays on a shelf for rainy days :)

Almost forgot, I also added Futaba high torque servos to keep the braking ability, the original OFNA servos couldnt stop it comin out of second gear with the .26 modded engine..

Attachments

• P1240855.jpg
    P1240855.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 3,424
i've always wanted to build an RC car with a great RC that can achieve long distances.....
way to go!

Ace82

brtaman said:
Nice car ace :)

Only thing left to do is slap a medusa, scorpion 6t or 450th (450W IIRC) motor onto the car,  ;) and watch it rip appart tarmac  ;D But also eat at batteries etc...

Kidding of course the 430L (or XL?) makes calling this complete overkill and understatement of epic proportions. How much runtime you get per set of batts? The 430 is a pretty efficient motor IIRC?

Thanks, I know I'm going to rip it appart from the inside out though, so I plan on upgrading.  On my Vendetta, I had to figure a way to reinforce the alluminum center drive shaft because they kept snapping like nothing!  

I'm using my old 430L on this build, upgraded to a 430XL on my heli.  And I get about 30-45min at 100% use from the LiPo.  This little 4wheel drive truck easily does wheelies and it's really easy to flip it over just by full throttle!  My Vendetta has a lower central weight so it stays on the ground.    My Helicopter lasts about 15-20 min on full charge running from a Thunderpower 11.4V 2200mA LiPo.  

Edit: I do like the simplicity of the electric brushless better, though it isn't as cool. And I like the mini RC toys. Check out this video! :eek:

[media]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RpFFqpnXnzk[/media]

JLSE

Ive always wanted one of those monster helli's, or an F-16 with an actual turbine jet. Those engines are R.I.D.I.C.U.L.O.U.S!!! The price is quite high, but the sound those things make just reak of testosterone :cool:  Ive seen a replica Boeing 747 with four engines on the wings, mut have been 12ft wide, by 18ft long. When it landed, you'd swear someone was going to open the door and climb out ;)

My electrics used to get chased by dogs, where as my buggy does the stalking. Not too mention it drives people crazy within few block radius. The original pipe was cut and refitted with a 1.5in tip, and a 1inch hole. The original was like 7mm or so. Not the best way to make friends with the locals ;D

The V-12 in that video.. Im not sure who the guy is, just found that clip a while back and had it in my favorites list. Since my new obsession for lasers came to be, the R/C thing has taken the back seat.

I think ill ask Santa for a mini helli this year, I have to get the hang of flying these things if I ever plan on going any bigger :)

wannaburn said:
Ive always wanted one of those monster helli's, or an F-16 with an actual turbine jet. Those engines are R.I.D.I.C.U.L.O.U.S!!! The price is quite high, but the sound those things make just reak of testosterone :cool:  Ive seen a replica Boeing 747 with four engines on the wings, mut have been 12ft wide, by 18ft long. When it landed, you'd swear someone was going to open the door and climb out ;)
I have an F-35 ducted fan jet. It came with 2 dead servos and they never replied back to me about it ::) Also the first time I went to fly it, the servo wires got sucked into the fan and broke all the blades ::) then it fell out of the sky and broke the tail wings (elevators). So I haven't had any fun with it yet :'( :mad: Here's a video of the same jet I have. It's really fast, goes like 100+mph. If only mine worked! :'(
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=as9wqDhQqLo[/media]

JLSE

LOL, I love it! Two grown men, freezing their a$$es off in the name of R/C! Can anyone say, been there done that? I cant recall the encounters with frostbite over the years... ;D But if I had a nickel...

Thats how it seems to go for the most part when you buy any type of R/C, something always breaks the first time out :mad:

LOL, my buggy came with no fail safe to control the brakes, For some reson the xtal in the reciever vibe'd loose... I learnt how to sprint for money that day.. Chased the thing a block and a half, not that I could catch it, but at least I tried :-/

It was a trip back to the hobby shop, 5 mins of fun cost me almost 80$ in parts after severing the front left suspension on a curb, at about 60+mph :'( Im lucky the chassis are tough on the OFNA's A similar crash split the plastic chassis in half during a similar collision with an evil curb, on an old electric.

Lesson in R/C.. If you break it on the first run it seems to be good luck or something, the second time is better as you keep in mind not to repeat the first :p