Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

"Homemade" 7W CO2 laser

Attachments

• bedienteilForumklein.jpg
    bedienteilForumklein.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,216
  • rotCO2forumklein.jpg
    rotCO2forumklein.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 1,894
  • CO2fullForumklein.jpg
    CO2fullForumklein.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 3,385
Last edited:

Arayan

Welcome from another new member of this community ;)
I saw your projects on youtube... really cool, especially those related to a pulse laser gun. Do you also make projects on commission? :D

Thanks
What exactly do you mean "on commission"? Making a laser you are interested in as well or making a laser FOR you? ;-)

welcome.gif
to the Forum...

Nice video of your CO2 in action...

Don't forget to read the Newcomers section and the Forum Rules...

Jerry

Thanks
Already did...

Seems you are a long-time-member...I tried to insert the pics. Did not work. Uploaded them on my webspace. Can you help me with that?

When editing a Post... you need to click on the yellow Icon at the top of
the Edit Window that has the two mountains in it...
Then copy/paste your URL of the Pictures into that box...

BTW try to re-size any photos so that they are a bit smaller in width than
the Forum full screen...

Jerry

Then try the same Yellow Icon...
But right-click your Uploaded Photo and copy the Properties URL
to the Icon Window like this...

23988d1256986367-homemade-7w-co2-laser-co2fullforumklein.jpg

Jerry

Tell us more about the components. What's that assembly on the head? Is that a HeNe in the back? What is the control design? It it a Chinese tube?

Its a "pilot-laser" sitting in the aluminum-cylinder at the front. The beam lays next to the Co2 laserbeam. Just for safety you know. A visible 200mW red beam indicates that there is an invisible Co2 laserbeam.

I used a 7W tube...made in the USA I guess. The inner tube should be made of German Schott glass. Not one of the real cheap chinese sealed tubes from ebay...way to risky..dont trust them actually...heard some bad thing bout them you know.

PSU: A ZVS...pure and simple. One small doorknob cap as filter-cap...works fine.

Arayan

What exactly do you mean "on commission"? Making a laser you are interested in as well or making a laser FOR you? ;-)
Both :angel: ...in the sense that I manage a little bit of electronics, but I'm a disaster to make the casings. Since you're very good at everything I wanted to know even if you sell your works. Anyway congratulations really ;)

Last edited:
Well thanks...if you have plans how something should look like in the end, show me and we will try to work something out.
You should try soldering some sheets of metal...glueing some plexi...I dont have a shop or something...only a few tools everyone should call his own: Jig saw, buzz saw, a set of files and a dremel-like minidriller.

ZVS??

I have a 10W tube that needs a power supply.... please elaborate!! :D

HIDL

ZVS??

I have a 10W tube that needs a power supply.... please elaborate!! :D

Hi

I think he used a ZVS driver its a circuit using 2 mosfets and 4 resistors and 4 diodes and a cap tank and ferrite core inductor , iron powder cores dont work too well , the zvs needs DC and a fair bit of current changing the value of inductor changes output current and voltage some flybacks just carnt handle the voltages ZVS run from 100watts to 1kw or so , the circuit ossilates back and forth , u put a primary on a flyback and then the zvs drives the flyback to produce HV AC the circuit is very simple very robust to

http://diymania.hv4all.com/zvs ih.PNG here is the circuit :D the work from voltages from 10 to about 60 some have gon to 70 volts the ZVS is zero voltage switching i think the voltage across the fets is zero when they turn on, the zvs is a easy was to get BIG ac arcs for high voltage experiments and that would be able to power the 10 watt co2 no problem just make sure you get a good flyback they are inside CRT tv and moniters the supply HV to the screen , i have made a few of these if u make one you wont be dissaponted also the cap size affects the frequency they run at , good luck , what ive said i think is correct ive made a cuple of them i think this is the ZVS driver he used :D

Hope this helps GooeyGus

All the best

HIDL

Last edited:
Correct. Consists of only a few electrical parts. You should be sure that you feed the tube with max 80W! Mine needs 77Watts...10% more output than rated is still alright.

My next project is a portable CO2 laser....thats gonna get tricky!

I've built several ZVS flyback drivers and they are certainly very powerful and equal to the task. You might need a ballast resistor to limit current to the tube.