Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

High voltage

I want a telsa coil that can light fluorescent tubes from a distance and make looooong sparks> ;).How would i make one(in canada).What would be estimated cost.I hate sounding like a noob.

IDK about the building of one of those, but they're not extremely hard to make, but they are expensive if you want a BIG one :)

Wait, you're like 10 or 11. How're you going to get away with that? Don't your parents love you? ;D

i don't tell them what I'm making till I'm done then its to late.[smiley=evil.gif]

my bug sapper(looks like a tennis racket) takes 2 aa's.Can i replace with 2 3.6volts. [smiley=evil.gif]

i think you should look into the TCL5 unit, looks like a nice tesla coil that can do neat stuff - and if you get the kit it costs only $70 instead of $100

how many volts are need to light a up fluorescent tube.How far would sparks go.

the site doesn't list any voltages or spark discharge lengths

even a mini plasma ball can light up a florescent tube, but idk what kind of distance you'd get - i can only go by the information on the page

Ok, my recommendation is to build a solid state tesla coil utilizing a flyback transformer and a couple of power transistors. You can get up to 30KV or so max and maybe 2" arcs at best. Very inexpensive to build and a great way to get into high voltage toys. The arc will burn you but not kill you. You get these nice little RF burns that hurt pretty good because they are very thin but go deep.

The alternative is a spark gap tesla coil which could kill you without a second chance. There's a lot of current moving across a spark gap.

If you want some big arcs without the risk of a spark gap tesla coil you might consider a Van de Graff generator.

Mmmm van de graff. There's just something awesome about the big metal ball.

House_do_want.jpg

Razako

Just find an old tv in a junk pile and make one of these for cheap.
Ancient TV + <$5 in parts=
IMG_1241.jpg

IMG_1239.jpg

IMG_1240.jpg