Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

high powered red laser

L

laser

do you guys know of any other high powered lasers besides pulsars? the pulsars are too expensive and they dont burn as well as dragon lasers...

T

timelord

Senkat is the man to ask about that, but in general red lasers have wider beams and need a lens to focus the beam to make stuff burn....

You could take the diode out of a DVD burner. That would be strong enough to burn things. :p

L

laser

bummer...i dont think i want to take apart my dvd burner yet...i dont really know how anyways.

AixiZ has some red lasers.

http://www.mfgcn.com/

Right on the homepage there is a 200mW red one. I don't know if it is strong enough to burn anything though. They also have some sweet IR lasers. I am defiantly going to buy one to those! ;D

No problem, it is the same place that I bought my red laser modules. One of them I am going to bump out the diode, and replace it with a DVD DL burner diode. I should see a 20 times power increase ;D.

I don't know yet, I have not built it.

I am hopping to get all my parts by this weekend though. ;D

S

SenKat

The standard DVD burner diode puts out 100mw CW, and 240mw pulsed. Check out the experiments and mods section to see more info on the dvd burner diodes...as far a regular handheld "storebought" unit goes.....Glowtorch on ebay (see my earlier review as well) has a great deal on the 200mw reds....it takes 2 CR 123 lithium batts, and pumps out PLENTY of burning power ! Focusable optics, too :cool: Love it ! PM me to get one faster....I bought two, and only relalllly need one !

What red power output do you need to see the beam in twilight type conditions? I'm interested in something to use as a pointer for astronimy.

I had a wicked laser that was 100mW red... It did not even work that well, but you could see the beam in the night sky.

Ahhh, I hope they send me my new ones soon... :'(

I also here that wicked lasers cheapest red one can be seen at night. :)

S

SenKat

Beefygt said:
I had a wicked laser that was 100mW red... It did not even work that well, but you could see the beam in the night sky.

Ahhh, I hope they send me my new ones soon...  :'(

I also here that wicked lasers cheapest red one can be seen at night.  :)

That depends.....what did you pay for the pulsar ? The Glowtorch ones are running right at $265 now - another good source is SikLasers on Ebay - they sell modules, not the hand held units, but they are HIGH quality - about $175 shipped ($60.00 shipping to the US) and they ship FAST, too. I have both a 100mw and a 200mw red module from them - the 100mw comes with an external driver circuit - whereas the 200mw has the driver built into the module housing - so you get the module about the same size around as a nickel, and about 2 inches long, with wires leads coming out of hte back...including one for TTL modulation - useful for laser shows :cool:

I got the p100 with there old casing. So it was about $170. There new p100 that has the same power is now $200 (I think it cost more because of the shiny new case).

S

SenKat

Beefygt said:
I got the p100 with there old casing. So it was about $170. There new p100 that has the same power is now $200 (I think it cost more because of the shiny new case).

Hmmm...that's half the power (and known issues) for the same price as a glowtorch, essentialy ! (ALMOST the same) it IS smaller, though....probably appeals to others for that reason.