Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

High powered burning IR laser

Asherz

Hi guys,

I now have a blu-ray, red and green laser and thinking about building an IR laser now simply because they are cheaper and can get some good burning power.

I just wanted to seek some advice as to a nice IR diode which is around 1 watt and how much it would be? and if it is possible to transform an old computer PSU into a power supply because I don't think a 9V battery would hold up long ;)

I do have an LM317 driver I built, and I like to think my soldering skills are pretty decent, so what would it take to change the PSU into a suitable driver, and where/how much is a high powered IR diode.

Thanks guys I appreciate the help.

Edit:just found this 5W 808nm diode, is this ok? http://cgi.ebay.com/HIGH-POWER-LASE...5|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

I know it's powerfull and I wil buying suitable eye protection at the same time.

An lm317 can only supply 1.5A and that's WITH extra heat sinking. That will only get you slightly over 1W. An ATX can supply the diode with simply a current limiting resistor as it is already regulated. You would likely use the 3.3V rail.

You can make substitutes for the LM317 to get more current. An LM350 will go up to 3A, an LM338 will go to
5 or 6A. Check the GB by heruursciences for many different IR diodes from 1/2W to many watts. He also has
miltimode collimator optics. You'll still need to fabricate a mount for the diode, these must be well heatsinked either by conduction or TEC.

Asherz

thanks guys, and thanks very much meatball for the link that was just what I was looking for :)

Someone who knows about regulator IC's:

Could LM196/LM396 be directly substituted in the simple constant-current supplies to go to 10amps? I have read that LM338's can be paralleled for 5, 10, 15 etc. but I have also read that it's controversial to parallel them.

This power supply can do 10+ amps but the driver is just 3a so far:
Joe Beuckman » Supporting a 2W Laser Diode

HIMNL9

most of the common regulators need ground reference for work correctly ..... X17 series is one of the few ones that have an internal structure that permit them to work both in current and voltage regulation config, cause it don't need a forced ground reference for work ..... you need to find in the datasheets for each ones that you want to try, if they can work as current regulators.

Looking at their internal schematics, 317 and 396 have a very similar (also if not 100% identical) structure for the reference / adjust section (both seems based on the same "half floating from ground" configuration), so i think that there are at least 90% of possibility that it works correctly also as current regulator ..... anyway, ofcourse, you need to calculate the value of the resistor in serie to the output for match the current that you need, keeping in consideration also the power of it (can't use an 1/4W resistor, for 10A, LOL)

I suggest you to make some tests starting with 1A, if you want to test it, and keeping an eye on fluctuations and temperature, increasing the load current ..... i'm sorry i can't do the tests, cause i don't have any regulator of this X96 serie at hands, at the moment.