Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

High energy Tactical laser!! COOL!!!

heres the vid

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVxZ9IHTH2E[/media]

spensa

they want to put missile defence systems on passanger planes it would cost something like $750,000 a plane it can track a missile across the sky as they shoot them down

Benm

Oh well, it won't take very long for enemy forces to apply reflective coatings to missiles... while the power and tracking abilities are very impressive, a device like this will probably have little effect on reflective targets.

What kind of power would that require? giga watts?

Not really, a few kilowatts average would probably do fine as long as you can steadily aim it and the target is absorptive. Look at the slomo's for what happens - it's aimed at the 'nose' of a shell, which melts causing the shell to lose it's shape increasing air resistance which causes further heating leading to the actual destruction.

On missiles with an explosive payload just igniting the explosive material would suffice. Most high explosives won't detonate from moderate heat, but do decompose and ignite - sufficient to bring the missile down.

Switch

Yea but reflective coated missles are (maybe) more easily detected by radar :-/

Benm

Probably true, but missiles are not stealth as they are. The typical missle must be roughly cylindrical in shape for a number of reasons that aren't easily overcome.

Radar-absorbing coating is typically black, but only gives a real benefit if the object has no surfaces reflecting back at a radar installation. If you'd paint, say, a small cessna with the stuff, it'd still be easily detected because of its shape.

Switch

Oh well....you can always aim that thing at vehicles and infantry.... :p

Benm

What's next.. guys with big beards and retroreflectors roaming the desert? ;)

Yikes!

I hope some Dr. Evil whackjob doesn't get a hold of one of those and start pointing it at innocent people. That would be a horrible way to die. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want my head popped like a balloon. :eek:

CC