Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

high discharge 18650s

Hi, i have been searching the forum for the answer to this but i haven't found anything. I am looking for some high discharge 18650's. Right now i use the AW 18650s and i know they have a high discharge rate but not quite high enough for dual flexdrive builds (around 1.8A). Does anyone know of batteries that have a higher discharge rate? Preferably protected but beggers cant be choosers i guess.

Thanks

IMR cells can withstand high current draws (AW make some 18650 IMR cells I believe) and A123 make some 18650 cells that can withstand a very high current draw.

Probably, I am pretty sure AW are good at 1.8 (Probably wrong here but I swear I heard they can go to 3A?) Lithium polymer will work for this. Sorry but what is IMR? Never heard of it.

weidmark;

A low-internal resistance U.L. listed #18650 cell will drive your dual flexdrive build.
They use no printed circuit board to limit current.

The flexdrives outputting 1.8 amps will require ~3 amps input current,
because they are boosting the voltage to the 445nm diodes.

LarryDFW

Last edited:
These are my personal favorites for the 18650. 5.4A max discharge. These are very good cells.

Li-ion 18650 Cylindrical Rechargeable Cell: 3.7V 2600mAh (9.62Wh) --OEM from Japan/Korea

I used to use the AW IMR's but they have a much lower mAh.:beer:

Lol i was actually looking at those but when i went to checkout it seems the lowest cost of shipping to Canada is $60 and i didnt think it was worth it :crackup:. Maybe ill email them and ask if they can use USPS instead of UPS. WHat i need to find is a Lighthound/Batteryspace like website that is based in Canada, but i have had no luck so far

redilast and AW both have protected versions of the NCR18650, which is a true 2900mAh capacity Li-Ion cell. 2C discharge rate is 5.8A! (see DTR's post below, protection circuit on AW limits to 3A)

Any half-decent Li-Ion cell will drive it. And ____fire is maybe one-fourth decent.

He didn't mention it, but LarryDFW sells unprotected Li-Ions that can easily provide even a 4A current flow.

Last edited:

DTR

redilast and AW both have versions of the NCR18650, which is a true 2900mAh capacity Li-Ion cell. 2C discharge rate is 5.8A!

They say 2C but I tried to do a dual Microboost unit that was pulling a little over 3A from my power supply but when I used the AW 2900mAh battery it could not handel it. But the unprotected ones I posted above could. It could be the protection circuit limiting the discharge. The cell may be rated for 5.8A discharge before the protection circuit.:beer:

DTR;

The Sanyo 18650's are known for their low internal resistance
(the lowest I've tested).

They are U.L. tested for better safety in my opinion.

LarryDFW

I went ahead and bought a couple of the batteries DTR linked... as well as a 26650 in case i want to try a bigger build in the future. Apparently they do ship USPS for Int'l orders but you have to put in the comments that you realize they are not responsible for lost packages, and then email them to verify. I had to pay the $60 FedEx fee then apparently get refunded the difference when they ship it out. Unfortunately they don't seem to be as quick as lighthound in answering emails. I sure hope they don't ship it FedEx.

DTR

I went ahead and bought a couple of the batteries DTR linked... as well as a 26650 in case i want to try a bigger build in the future. Apparently they do ship USPS for Int'l orders but you have to put in the comments that you realize they are not responsible for lost packages, and then email them to verify. I had to pay the $60 FedEx fee then apparently get refunded the difference when they ship it out. Unfortunately they don't seem to be as quick as lighthound in answering emails. I sure hope they don't ship it FedEx.

If you call them they always seem to answer the phone during business hours. I would call them tomorrow and see if they sent it out yet. I have nothing but good quick transactions with them but obviously I have never had any experience with their international shipping.

Last edited:

DTR

DTR;

The Sanyo 18650's are known for their low internal resistance
(the lowest I've tested).

They are U.L. tested for better safety in my opinion.

LarryDFW

I have confirmed with Batteryspace both the 2400mAh like the ones you sell and the 2600mAh ones are the Sanyo cells. If you request they can ship you LG cells in the same specs which is why they list Japan/Korea instead of calling them Sanyo's. You are cheaper for the 2400mAh cells after $8 shipping if you are only buying one or two.:beer:

2400mAh 4.8A Max Discharge
Li-ion 18650 Cylindrical Rechargeable Cell: 3.7V 2400mAh (8.88Wh) --OEM from Japan/Korea

2600mAh 5.4A Max Discharge
Li-ion 18650 Cylindrical Rechargeable Cell: 3.7V 2600mAh (9.62Wh) --OEM from Japan/Korea

You are cheaper for the 2400mAh cells after $8 shipping if you are only buying one or two.:beer:

DTR;

I am also getting some 2700mah & 2800mah Sanyos in recently.

Haven't put them up yet, because the quantities are limited.

My cells also have protective nickel tabs over the "+" buttons.
It makes them less likely to dent in some hosts.

Larry

DTR

DTR;

I am also getting some 2700mah & 2800mah Sanyos in recently.

Haven't put them up yet, because the quantities are limited.

My cells also have protective nickel tabs over the "+" buttons.
It makes them less likely to dent in some hosts.

Larry

Sweet. Would be interested in seeing those. Do they sacrifice discharge rate to get the higher rated capacity?

So on your 2400mAh Sanyo's they something extra on the positive tab that is not showing in the picture from your sales thread?

SanyoUR18650F.jpg

Sweet. Would be interested in seeing those. Do they sacrifice discharge rate to get the higher rated capacity?

So on your 2400mAh Sanyo's they something extra on the positive tab that is not showing in the picture from your sales thread?

The discharge rate on all the Sanyo's is 2C (twice the mah capacity).

All of my cells have short welded nickel straps when I receive them.

I cut the excess off, leaving the nickel strap just on top of the round button in the picture:
sanyotop.jpg

I've found that it helps keep the positive pole from excess wear, & bending inward from spring pressure.

LarryDFW

Last edited: