Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

High current tail cap switches? Are there any at 10A or higher rated?

I'm trying to find a high current tail cap switch, I could use a couple of them, one rated at 10 and another at 15 amps or higher just for extra margin, anyone know where I can find them? Ebay isn't turning anything up that high, only 6A.

This one would certainly work for me, but the guy disappeared from the forum in 2012: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...e-for-Z41-and-variants.&p=3779589#post3779589 I've tried googling his ID and found he was quite active on several forums, even youtube, but not for a long time. Anyone by chance of a long shot know where I can find VanIsleDSM of B.C. Canada ?

Last edited:

Hiemal

What you might have to do is find a MOSFET controlled switch, which is what that FETtie thing is. Basically it's just a basic P-Channel mosfet that turns on or off via a low current switch. The switch itself doesn't have to conduct much current, so the mosfet does all the hard work.

Only obvious downside is that it's another "loss" in your circuit. Lower the RDSon the better.

Hell I could probably give a go at designing a board. It shouldn't be too difficult.

Edit;

Found a mosfet in a SO-8 type package with an RDSon of 1.25 milliohms. Damn.

Last edited:
You stated that a 10A and 15A rating would be ideal but what is the max current that you'll likely be seeing with your setup?

If you won't be seeing more than 15A then the standard omten switches have be thoroughly tested at 15A for extended periods of time. Now there is no scientific quantifiable data that shows voltage drops at 15A for these switches, (EDIT: read the link attached below ;)) but they have been proven to be extremely reliable at way over their recommended max current.

EDIT: Found a few tests here. On post #25 the omten switch was found to have a maximum voltage drop of 132mv after 16A of continuous current was run through it for 2 hours.

Last edited:
Great,

Thanks for the input guys, the MOSFET idea sounds interesting and might be something I can use in the future for another prject, but the OMTEN switch is perfect for my needs.

+rep if I can.