Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

hidden safety/power level switch idea

danq

Got some tiny magnetic reed switches really cheap yesterday (25c), and did a little testing... found that a DX neodymium mini-magnet will activate them at about 1/2 inch distance through shrink tubing. So... my next laser will have a built-in hidden switch that will change it from a 5mw pointer to a 200mw burner just by moving the magnet from the tailcap to a different spot on the body!

found lot of 100 on eBay - made a post on Group Buys

DanQ

sounds like a cool idea! will the diode still lase at only 5mw? make sure to post a video when you finish ;)

danq

The switch will change the current-setting resistor, that will change the output.

you can hook it up so that when the switch is closed, it puts a resistor in parallel with your sense resistor, lowering the effective value.

My circuit uses a 10K pot to adjust the output, so there won't be any issue of extra lead length adding a few ohms. But those of you using a 10-ohm or thereabouts resistor may have to take that into consideration.

DanQ

jake21

on ebay for 100 REED SWITCH, SWITCHES, 3/4" .75" LONG the price is at 9.99 and 6.60 for shipping so at 17.00 dollors divided by 100 =17 cents a peice item number 260203997193 if these will work im in for some

roSSco

Those look to be hook switches for Rolm phones. I've played with those in the past and they are quite sensitive to the correct magnetic field as well as the orientation. What I'm saying is they might be a pain to get working to suit your needs. ;)

jake21

well if not those one and still can get thim cheap im still in for some

danq

jake21 said:
on ebay for 100 REED SWITCH, SWITCHES, 3/4" .75" LONG the price is at 9.99 and 6.60 for shipping so at 17.00 dollors divided by 100 =17 cents a peice item number 260203997193 if these will work im in for some
Jake, your math was better than mine by a factor of ten :-[
I originally posted .02 each on the GB page... just fixed it, thanks... anyway at 20c each I will still give 'em away for the postage (which of course is twice the price of one switch)

roSSco said:
Those look to be hook switches for Rolm phones. I've played with those in the past and they are quite sensitive to the correct magnetic field as well as the orientation. What I'm saying is they might be a pain to get working to suit your needs. ;)
Thanks - I'll check out their operation before committing to send 'em out. The switches I have were surprisingly indifferent to direction, but I know they all have different specs. It's a small gamble, but cheap anyway - we'll see.

DanQ