Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Laser Pointer Store

Hi people

Hi everyone. My name's Jack. Completely new to lasers. Bought a cheap three pack off Amazon of 5mws and the green burned out almost immediately. lol Hoping to learn some stuff from you guys. Everytime I google laser info, I'm directed here XD So yea, that's it.

norbyx

Welcome to the forum. Please take some time to read the stickies as they have most important information on lasers.

Be safe and I hope that soon you will be hooked in this hobby as many of us...

KapHn8d

Welcome to the forum! Read up :) There is a lot of great info via the search tool.

Be safe and have fun...

Gun

Hello SilverVayne, welcome to LPF :)

Click the red text in my signature (at the bottom) if you want to improve your introduction post slightly ;)

Have fun and read the stickies.

hakzaw1

My first green pen was $40 and that at the time was the cheapest- I never worried about duty/rest cycling with all my red pens so my green died on day one.

Too much heat for the driver and DPSS- and little or no heatsinking- to last these need a rest every 2 min and if the room is hot maybe a even longer rest cycle- I think the China sellers hold back that info to sell more--But IDKFS.

But at $4 each no worries

My first green pen was $40 and that at the time was the cheapest- I never worried about duty/rest cycling with all my red pens so my green died on day one.

Too much heat for the driver and DPSS- and little or no heatsinking- to last these need a rest every 2 min and if the room is hot maybe a even longer rest cycle- I think the China sellers hold back that info to sell more--But IDKFS.

But at $4 each no worries
Great tips, thanks. I realized after reading about my new one coming from eBay that you shouldn't hold it longer than 20 seconds, that I had burned out the original cheap green one. They're replacing the green one and it was a nice learning experience tearing the old broken one apart. lol I wanted to keep the casing to modify it following a tutorial I found on here, but I destroyed it. That block of wood in the clamp to hold it was essential and I didn't realize why until it was too late and the silver tip was busted (not just scratched like I anticipated)

Hello, SilverVayne. Enjoy your stay!

Amazingly, I have a fastech module, running at 115mW or so, taped to it's 18650, that managed not to die after dozens of 3min + duty cycles! The only thing I can attribute it to is its ability to cool down rapidly.

Good luck on your future laser hobby.