Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi! New member from PA

av8r

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking the past few weeks, reading and learning all I can from the forums, and thought I should say hello. I've been a laser fan/enthusiast since I was a teen, I remember just poring over the costly HeNe's in the Edmunds catalogs in what, the late 60's? :)

I've never owned a serious laser until now, though, just red pointers.. but I took the plunge, dare I say, with a 1+ W. 445nm. It's in a Qumefox Sipik host, which is really nice. I am very safety-conscious, and have both a scientific background (not laser-related) and a truly serious respect for the laser's potential, so I became thoroughly acquainted with all proper precautions first, and employ proper protection and procedures for the safety of myself and others :cool:

Oh boy, it didn't take long for me to immerse myself further (though I'm sure monetary aspects will help keep me in check... ;) ..I've just purchased one of Chad's 2mW HeNe Greenies! and hope to acquire a compatible power supply at a reasonable / hopefully low price sometime soon (maybe on this board??), and I will be building a nice stained wooden display / mounting for it then. I'll finally get my "gas fix"!! I've certainly waited long enough.. In GREEN, yet!! :san:

Hmm.. just after making the purchase, I saw the pics of some unique displays / lamps some folks here have made utilizing their 6" HeNe tubes.. Man, I Just Have To do something like that too.. ..just one more..... :drool:

Well, anyway, nice to make your acquaintance, all. Glad to be part of this interesting and knowledgeable bunch of laser folk here. Be seeing you on the forum!

Last edited:

Hi,

Welcome to LPF:beer:

Oh boy, it didn't take long for me to immerse myself further (though I'm sure monetary aspects will help keep me in check... ;)

I started out in a similar way, just looking for one perfect pointer, now I'm getting 2-3 a month:undecided:

Have To do something like that too.. ..just one more..... :drool:

:crackup::crackup::crackup: Just one more... the addicts cry.

Don't worry it's a lot of fun though, and there is so much to learn and point at:D

welcome.gif
to the Forum....
Don't forget to read the FAQs...the Stickies
and the Forum Rules..

If your are planning to buy anything on the
Forum.... PLEASE read this first...

6 Steps To Prevent You From Getting Scammed

Enjoy your stay...

Jerry

av8r

Thanks for the welcome, all :)

Rocket689, sure, I'm in Stroudsburg, actually south of the city. My marker on the members' map is set on the center of town, though. Think I'll update my profile to be more specific ;) Nice list of lasers/builds you have there. LPMs too! I guess in time I'll inevitably be acquiring some "tools of the trade" beyond my basic electronics stuff, probably little by little. An LPM and a lathe would definitely be on the list!

I see that your a Sipik owner too. Pretty cool host, I think. More power would be nice, but the NJG-18 is supposedly already putting out 1.4A to get 1135 peak mW out of this diode..

Welcome aboard. :beer:

EDIT: LMAO you already want moar power. You'll fit right in.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome, all :)

Rocket689, sure, I'm in Stroudsburg, actually south of the city. My marker on the members' map is set on the center of town, though. Think I'll update my profile to be more specific ;) Nice list of lasers/builds you have there. LPMs too! I guess in time I'll inevitably be acquiring some "tools of the trade" beyond my basic electronics stuff, probably little by little. An LPM and a lathe would definitely be on the list!

I see that your a Sipik owner too. Pretty cool host, I think. More power would be nice, but the NJG-18 is supposedly already putting out 1.4A to get 1135 peak mW out of this diode..

Lol, yea. I started out planning on building one red, one blu-ray, one green and one blue.....uh huh..... You will find out sooner or later; lasers can become an extreme addiction. ;) After handhelds, then you progress to projectors and laser shows... and the addiction gets more expensive :na: haha

Yes, the sipik is my favorite laser out of my collection right now. I have had a peak of 1280mw with a njg-18 :eg:

Enjoy your stay here at LPF :beer:

av8r

And yes, Fenzir, we do seem to have quite a contingent from PA here! ;)

av8r

After handhelds, then you progress to projectors and laser shows... and the addiction gets more expensive :na: haha

Now you've got me worried for the (my) future... ;)
I've caught myself spending too much time on YouTube, watching videos of laser shows.. OMG, what one can do with the right stuff (and I'm sure, a commensurate amount of money to acquire it) is just downright awesome! I'd -love- do be able to do some of that someday! ;)