Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi everyone! First timer here..

Hey guys and gals, my name's Justin and let me start off by saying thank you to everyone that has posted in all the threads I've read, and really all threads period, as I have been lucky enough to find this forum and the vault of laser knowledge it contains! Been lurking the forums for the past year or so, trying to absorb as much information as my mind will let me. I've never had to post here before since pretty much every single thing I wondered was just a quick search and BOOM, and seriously thank all of you!! Thanks to you guys, my first laser purchase included a couple diodes, LM317 driver and most importantly, LASER SAFETY GLASSES!!! Which I have for all my current wavelengths, except the excessive IR. :tsk:

It's a kind of a trip, even though this is my first post, since I have been reading through the forums I really feel like I know some of the more active members like close friends. And really I think I like this forums vibe in that way the most because it's easy to get stuck reading real information by knowledgeable people versus other forums where it's more of a contest of who is right and wrong, and then of course all the B.S. that most forums have.

Anyways here's a little background to me, I'm 28 and a union electrician currently working on the Sacramento Kings new stadium. I live in Sacramento as well, specifically I live in Roseville, CA but for anyone not familiar with the area, I say Sacramento and they'll know it. I've always loved electronics and small electronics was more my speed as it always blew my mind how small and compact these high tech devices were getting. As a kid and still to this day, ive had an urge to take things apart and tinker with them, I'm no engineer type but definitely have made some cool things in the past of the things I've acquired over the years. And feel like I've learned alot from studying how things are assembled and taken apart.

Like many can probably say, I believe it was a YouTube video from the infamous StyroPyro about turning a CD burner into a burning laser that was the thing that really started me in my laser quest, thanks Styro!!! Of course after I killed a couple LPC-826 diodes with LM317 setups and successfully had a couple working LPC-840s and a 120mw 405nm diode going, I really caught the bug heavy. When it comes to hobbies and I, I tend to go full board with it. And that's exactly what has happened.

I will eventually get to putting my collection of lasers in my signature, but seeing as even this intro has taken me a long time with the short time I have after work everyday, I can't promise any dates. I know ive gone a little laser crazy this past couple months, at least says my friends and co-workers, lol, and thankfully good ol overtime has helped me do. Untill that time I'll give a short description of my working lasers.. I am in the works on getting an LPM currently and any numbers I'm giving are from the sellers themselves.

405 nm
-BDR-209: extracted from sled and host bundle from Survival lasers
-850mw BDR-209: in a Challenger 2 host from Sanwu.. Will be doing a review soon once the dispute is resolved.
-(2) 500mw labbies bought off eBay (love the long duty cycles.
-120mw rated Sony diode, mounted it in a copper module and 3 element lens.
-301 eBay burner (not too shabby for $10)

445nm
-2W M140: purchased from DTR with driver and G2 lens, in a 501b host from budget beams

462nm
-2W M462: from DTR with driver and G2, host bundle from Survival lasers

532nm
-"500mw": from laserpointerpro. Wouldn't be surprised if this one has a ton of IR leakage, as a greenie it is very dim.
-(8) eBay 303s: all pretty solid as I've gone through alot of them purchasing for multiple friends and around the jobsLol and keeping the ones that were the brightest. Great friend right?! Lol

650nm
-LPC-826: in module and I run it off a power supply/LM317
-LPC-840: same as above
-eBay 301: a great buy!
-"250mw" Banggood special
- and a bullet shaped 650nm pointer

I know it's definitely not the best collection and not the worst, but I'm really starting to get into the different wavelengths and like alot of people, money is the deciding factor of what wavelengths I'm able to get. I appreciate you reading my first post, I apologize if it wasn't a good read but I wanted to do it right here and introduce myself. Also if anything at all did not come out right cause I'm still a newbie, I'm sorry. I'm only working off mobile and its not the easiest to figure out at times on here.

Once again I want to say thanks to everyone for letting me lurk in the shadows helping me feed my laser addiction as you unknowingly shared your knowledge with me lol, I couldn't have done 90% of my laser projects without the help from all of you!! Look forward to some posts sharing my lasers with pics and beam shots:drool: and maybe a review or two as time goes on.

Last edited:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to LPF CaliKirk! :beer:
You have posted an excellent introduction, and it sounds as if you are well on your way to laser addiction! :D
Styro has gotten more than one person hooked on lasers.
Have fun, and be safe.

Thanks for all the welcomes! I really appreciate them!

Bowtieguy- so true about styro, I started tuning into his videos probably two years ago then he blew up with his blue shotty and now millions, literally, have at least went out and bought a cheap one cause of it.

Hap- Nice! My buddy lives off nelson so im out there from time to time, I'm off sunrise by 80 about 20 min away maybe less..

Thanks for all the welcomes! I really appreciate them!

Bowtieguy- so true about styro, I started tuning into his videos probably two years ago then he blew up with his blue shotty and now millions, literally, have at least went out and bought a cheap one cause of it.

Hap- Nice! My buddy lives off nelson so im out there from time to time, I'm off sunrise by 80 about 20 min away maybe less..

Awesome! Know exactly where that is. Maybe we can see each other lasers in the sky one night :beer:

-Alex

GSS

Wow CaliKirk what a nice intro:beer: Welcome and enjoy as you already have a potential neighbor friend. So lurking seems to have made you a vet with the "addiction" in full swing:whistle: I'm glad you joined and am looking forward to see your future threads and posts:)

Pman

Welcome and you certainly jumped in with both feet:) +REP offense:)

Welcome CK,
Awesome intro Glad to have you you will like it here . many fine folks to chat with and a lot of info to choose from. And yes it's very addicting and it never stops either. Be safe and have a great time here at LPF..

Rich:)

Awesome! Know exactly where that is. Maybe we can see each other lasers in the sky one night :beer:

-Alex

Lol, that doesn't sound like a bad idea at all!! I often shine my lasers at the moon wondering if any other laserists are looking up at that very time.. I always wait for a response beam back... But no luck :cryyy:

Thank you again to all for the welcomes and nice words, I really wish I would have got my feet wet a little sooner with being more active on LPF. I'm currently getting some pics ready for a Sanwu review, as well a couple small builds I've been putting together and will be putting together that I'd love to share with you fine folks and get some feedback on!! Just please keep in mind, I'm still a rookie! Lol :beer: