Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi all! Sven from NL

Hi,

My name's Sven, and I'm a Dutch physics student working on finishing his masters degree. (Yes, optics-related ;) )

I generally think lasers are cool, and have built a small and simple laser-trigger for some drop / water splash photography in the past. Recently, I dismantled an old set of speakers and used lots of glue and some mirrors to make a very basic XY-scanner.

Generally, I have been looking around a bit on the forum for some time, and am wondering whether I have found another (smallish) hobby. I'll admit I'm not prepared to spend a lot of money (yet), but we'll see where it takes me :)

Sven

Welcome to LPF Sven :>)
Great place to learn about this addictive hobby. Have fun and poke around some more.

Hello Sven, lasers are no smallish hobby, if you don't want to spend a lot of money then run away now before its too late.

I hope you stay around though. We need more smart people here, especially scientists and engineers. Welcome to LPF.

Alan

Thanks both of you :)

lasers are no smallish hobby, if you don't want to spend a lot of money then run away now before its too late.

Too bad lasers aren't like my other hobby, photography. At least, that earns me a little bit of money I can spend on the hobby again!

Thanks both of you :)

Too bad lasers aren't like my other hobby, photography. At least, that earns me a little bit of money I can spend on the hobby again!

Well that is possible to do. A few members here do that, they sell laser parts and accessories or machine metal parts, or build and sell complete lasers. You could probably find some way to do that if you wanted to.

Alan

upaa27

Welcome Sven!

This is a hobby that goes like this: I want to make a laser I don't care what kind -> Diode died again... -> \o/ it worked -> Need more power...

Watch out! This hobby will pull you in!

IsaacT

Start handing someone a digital twenty for a low power diode, and all of a sudden you will find every one of your twenties is tied together and racing out of your wallet for the big kahuna diode!

Two weeks later: There is a new diode on the scene and yours is no longer the big kahuna. Oh look your wallet is unravelling again. Sources for diode are iffy so you better grab one before they are gone!

Three months after that: There are some engineering samples of one of a kind wavelength offerings. Only 5 available. Better sell your previous two builds as quick as possible to afford the new one. Buyers market though, expect to get 80-90% of what you paid unless they look badass.

A year later: You have a nice collection of lasers going, but you are bored and want a reason to build more. So you sell them and start over.

THIS IS HOW THE HOBBY GOES! :D Enjoy the crazy ride!

+ 5 welcome to Sven- coolest name from there IMHO- (remember 'Cousin Sven IIRC- from ren & stimpy)

all being said here about laser addiction may sound like 'just trying to be funny' but sadly its all true and projectors with fancy software begin to cost where the most expensive handhelds leave off--+

FYI there are a lot of photogs here- some outstanding- we will expect to see some awesome pics of your lasers and anything else you care to share- we have a thread for that- and- would love to see your work- Len

Thanks a lot everyone, feeling welcome already!
remember 'Cousin Sven IIRC- from ren & stimpy
Never seen that show, but I just looked it up, and it looks like I won't be seeing it anytime soon! :p (Then again, I know worse characters with the same name :D)

Last edited: