Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hey

Hello. My name is Seth and I am a 14 year old from Michigan. I have read a lot of threads on here over the past week or two and it's gotten me even more indulged in this hobby. I own a 1 watt 445nm laser, a 200+mw red laser, and a few cheap generic green lasers (Yes, I have goggles :)) . I am looking to build my own laser soon but first I would like to learn more about building them.

I look foreword to talking with you guys and learning about this hobby!

-Seth

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome to the forum Seth. :) Only 14, so young but nice to see you have gathered an actual interest.
Do you mind me asking what goggles you own? Make sure you stay safe.

Last edited:

Radim

Welcome to LPF.
Lasers, eye protection, nice intro and profile with location added? Not a bad start here. ;) As Oliver mentioned, make sure you have right eye protection as it needs fo fit your lasers. Safety first.
Enjoy and stay safe.

Welcome to the forum Seth. :) Only 14, so young but nice to see you have gathered an actual interest.
Do you mind me asking what goggles you own? Make sure you stay safe.
I just use my dads welding helmet for goggles.

Just kidding :D I have a red pair of glasses my mom brought me from her work. They say Provision™ on them and they work pretty good.

Radim

I do not know what these are... Quality goggles/glasses can resist direct hit for some time without eye damage. Not sure for what purpose were your glasses designed. Check the forum search for recommendations. I use Univet goggles and also Eagle Pair (I do not have any) are considered as good here and they are quite cheap. ;)

Last edited:
I think my mom said they use them for a laser they have at her work. They block almost all of the light from my 1w blue laser.

Welcome, Seth. You are young enough to learn quite a lot about all sorts of lasers and the physics behind laser technology if you are so inclined. Good luck and enjoy your stay here.

diachi

Welcome!

I just use my dads welding helmet for goggles.

Just kidding :D I have a red pair of glasses my mom brought me from her work. They say Provision™ on them and they work pretty good.

They should have a wavelength range and OD (Optical Density) rating on them somewhere if they are proper laser safety glasses. Can you see such a marking anywhere?

Good to see young people getting interested in the hobby... That said, there are age requirements for purchasing lasers and such... not to mention the site ToS.

Last edited:

Radim

Whatever - check wavelength and OD (optical density) number on them at least. Search on manufacturer website your goggles and there should be some charts of wavelength vs OD and further stuff. Seems they are ok as you describe, still you need to learn this stuff and be sure you
are protected, just in case. It's never wasted time if you study safety. If your mother works with lasers discuss it with her. Make sure you use right goggles and you can enjoy lasers much more. ;) (But no shining into eyes even with goggles on - they are just in case of accident.)

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Welcome toLPF Seth! :wave:
Have fun, be safe, and enjoy your stay here.

As others have stated, please be sure to check your safety glasses for the proper wavelength
Coverage and OD rating.

Nice to have another "cool cat" from Michigan joining the forum!

Jeff

BobMc

Welcome to the forum. A young man who has a interest in lasers, that's a good thing. A young man who know about laser safety that's a better thing. So welcome and be safe and enjoy.

Ps, I searched Provision;

https://www.googleadservices.com/pa...ahUKEwjz55qiq77UAhUPxCYKHZIYDz4Q0QwIeQ&adurl=

Also tried; Pro Vision,
~~Home

and couldn't find any laser safety glasses. Maybe I searched the wrong Provision or Pro Vision ???

Eyes don't grow back please be safe with yours, there's no "do over" your a young man just starting out, hate to see anything happen to your sight. :thinking:

Radim

Bob:

To your rep from me, I accidently tapped button too early: "Great points you put on table. Hopefully he will take them seriously. ;)"

And "Provision" seems to be eye medical laser system, I guess they supply some glasses/goggles with it. Here the good thing is - parameters should be marked up. The problem might be if they do not fit with collecition Seth has.

WELCOME
The OD and which wavelengths they are made to 'go with'.. will be printed on the frame--if nothing is there--beware.
also side shields are a MUST.. hak