Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

hey help :) new

i have a question....my sister bought me a laser a 3-in-1 and it has red,green or blue not sure... and a led light...
but i think its 0.5mw?? i juss wanna know how far it (might) go and... 5.0mw too im not sure if its 0.5 or 5

It sounds like a standard red laser pointer. Chances are it less than 5mW. It should have a label. Here is a quick key to help read the label,

< means less than. It will usually say something like max output power<5mW

some # then the letters "nm" nm is the wavelength, violet is 405nm, blue is 473nm, green is 532nm, and red is anywhere between 635nm and 660nm.

It might also say something like class IIa or IIb or even IIIb. ClassII lasers are all less than 5mW. Class IIIb lasers are 5mW to 500mW. The letter has something to do with time to damage vision. Search and you shall find!

A laser will theoretically go forever, but a standard laser such as the one I think you have will only go around 100-200 yards before you will not be able to see it anymore.

Hope this helps. Stick around and learn about stronger lasers!

well ok if its 0.5 or 5 mw can it hurt my eyes? (not that im dumb enough to shine it in my eyes)

Well, its not supposed to, but I wouldn't go looking into it or anything. It could be overpowered or some other odd scenario. Try not to shine it at anything that will reflect back towards you and don't look directly into the beam.

Chances are if you were to accidentally catch a hit to the eyes it wouldn't hurt you, but why take the chance. Use it wisely and you wont have to worry about it!

ok lol ;D thx i hate the shipping restrictions...the laser was supposed to come in 2-3 days but now its 2-3 weeks! lol

My guess is .5mW.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but this is a piece of sh!t.
If you want a real laser, this one is not even close.
But being as you paid $1.99 for it, I guess you did not do bad.
BTW: If you do decide to buy a real laser don't use eBay.
99% of the lasers and modules on there are way underspec.
Stick with a reputable company.(Rayfoss or O-like)
or buy off of the B/S/T section here.

BaLlZ but why do you need like a 1000mW its not like your gonna go rape someone with it...o.o i just want a laser for FuN ( F is for friend who do stuff together U is for you and mee N is for anywhere anytime here in the deep blue sea!!!)

What?

1076-stoned-baby.jpg

BaLlZ but why do you need like a 1000mW its not like your gonna go rape someone with it...o.o i just want a laser for FuN ( F is for friend who do stuff together U is for you and mee N is for anywhere anytime here in the deep blue sea!!!)
Your Idea of fun and mine might differ.
It's cool to shine it around and look at the pretty color(s).
But nothing beats burning and cutting with, as I stated, a "real" laser.
Watch this video I made using my 650nm (red) and tell me if this looks like more fun then just shining it around. Just my opinion!
BTW: I spent a total of $27.58 for all the parts to build this laser.
Think about it.:thinking:

man..i dont wanna die i juss wanna has fun...and i cant afford 27.28 dollars... My sisters bought it for me im 12 years old (13 on may 12) :) i cant build for shit either!! although im gonna be an aviation engineer

It seems you want to learn more about lasers? Or else you would not be here, correct?
As far as building, being 12 YO, has nothing to do with it.(ask Bill Gates)
Don't say you can't build. Say, I haven't learned how to build yet.
Read this forum enough and you will learn to build with ease.
As far as the money goes, If you see a old computer laying by the curb or anywhere else, check and see if it says DVD BURNER, (or DVD -RW)
if you find one, you just saved $10 on the diode, most of the other parts you will need, might be in there also. Pick up any electronic junk you find, and use the parts.
Computers that are DVD readers have a laser diode in them about 80X stronger then the one you have. DVD Writer's diode is 400X as strong.

Last edited:
dam right correct :D
bill gates...is a rich bastard that made microsoft or something...i wish i did that :D
idk wth a diode is
(answers in order from each line)