Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Heres what I've come down to...

L4sers

Edit: Probably gonna buy 50mW wid some shades - Thanks for all the "packages" Raz!!

I know u guys are probably sick of me, but I think this is what I've finally decided.

Either:

10mW Green Laser (DealExtreme) <----Do they have IR filters???

30mW Green Laser(DealExtreme) with protective glasses $70, not IR protective, just green/blue.

Heres my question: Does a 10mW emit as much IR as a 30mW if it did not have a filter? And if it does have a filter, can filters break/leak?

Get the 30mW green. The IR output will be about the same on both, but honestly you don't need to worry about the IR coming from those lasers. Also, you really don't need goggles for the True 30mW wither, just don't point it in your eyes or stare at the dot from 4 inches away ;D

Razako

L4sers said:
I know u guys are probably sick of me, but I think this is what I've finally decided.

Either:

30mW Green Laser(DealExtreme) with protective glasses $70, not IR protective, just green/blue.

Heres my question: Does a 10mW omit as much IR as a 30mW if it did not have a filter? And if it does have a filter, can filters break/leak?
The 10 and 30mw both use the same pump diode and the 10 will emit more IR if anything because the crystals are less efficient. Both of them SHOULD have an IR filter if you buy the true version and even if they don't it isn't a big deal at such low power levels. Just be careful with them and you should be fine. Protective goggles are kind of pointless with the true 30 because it doesn't have enough power to burn things and you will probably only use it outside at night and look at the beam. If you really want goggles you should also chip in another $30 and buy the 50mw baton style laser. The build is much better than the penlasers and it comes with a rechargeable li-ion battery so you will never need to buy more batteries for it.

Buy these 3 items and you're good.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12342
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.936
http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Green_532nm_LaserShades-48-16.html

Ace82

Razako said:
[quote author=L4sers link=1211925366/0#0 date=1211925366]I know u guys are probably sick of me, but I think this is what I've finally decided.

Either:

Heres my question: Does a 10mW omit as much IR as a 30mW if it did not have a filter? And if it does have a filter, can filters break/leak?
The 10 and 30mw both use the same pump diode and the 10 will emit more IR if anything because the crystals are less efficient.  Both of them SHOULD have an IR filter if you buy the true version and even if they don't it isn't a big deal at such low power levels.  Just be careful with them and you should be fine.  Protective goggles are kind of pointless with the true 30 because it doesn't have enough power to burn things and you will probably only use it outside at night and look at the beam.  If you really want goggles you should also chip in another $30 and buy the 50mw baton style laser.  The build is much better than the penlasers and it comes with a rechargeable li-ion battery so you will never need to buy more batteries for it.

Buy these 3 items and you're good.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.12342
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.936
http://www.wickedlasers.com/lasers/Green_532nm_LaserShades-48-16.html[/quote]

Way to go Raz! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]Nice starter kit you've formulated there!

Switch

I know u guys are probably sick of me, but I think this is what I've finally decided

Well, you don't really need to make a new thread for each question since they are somewhat related. :-/

L4sers

Sweet set!! Do you have a different 50mW brand thats "True", or doesn't require rechargeable? && does 50mW burn? Mwuahaha, lol

Switch

L4sers said:
Sweet set!! Do you have a different 50mW brand thats "True", or doesn't require rechargeable? && does 50mW burn? Mwuahaha, lol

It's as true as the true ones.Only the newwish style pointers have true and untrue versions.Rechargeables are prefered when it comes to lasers that eat up batteries in an hour of use.This model has the battery included, all you need to buy separately is the charger.

50mW should be able to pop a balloon and slightly smoke black stuff with the help of a lens.Maybe put holes in trashbags. :p

L4sers

Switch said:
[quote author=L4sers link=1211925366/0#5 date=1211926672]Sweet set!! Do you have a different 50mW brand thats "True", or doesn't require rechargeable? && does 50mW burn? Mwuahaha, lol

It's as true as the true ones.Only the newwish style pointers have true and untrue versions.Rechargeables are prefered when it comes to lasers that eat up batteries in an hour of use.This model has the battery included, all you need to buy separately is the charger.

50mW should be able to pop a balloon and slightly smoke black stuff with the help of a lens.Maybe put holes in trashbags. :p[/quote]

Light a match? *crosses fingers*

And what does the focus do on the Laser?

Switch

You may be able to light a sharpied match if you're lucky.I forgot it's the focusable one.Guess you don't need an external lens, just have to adjust it for the distance you want. :p

The thing is, you're probably gonna want more power, so maybe you should save up for the more powerful model? :-/ That also really requires goggles since you're gonna start burning stuff.

Razako

L4sers said:
[quote author=Switch link=1211925366/0#6 date=1211926914][quote author=L4sers link=1211925366/0#5 date=1211926672]Sweet set!! Do you have a different 50mW brand thats "True", or doesn't require rechargeable? && does 50mW burn? Mwuahaha, lol

50mW should be able to pop a balloon and slightly smoke black stuff with the help of a lens.Maybe put holes in trashbags. :p[/quote]

Light a match? *crosses fingers*

And what does the focus do on the Laser?[/quote]
The focus on the 50mw laser will probably let you light matches with it and more.

L4sers

yeah i just read around on the site a bit, and people have talked about lighting matches, popping ballonns, etc.

because the battery that it comes with is a lithium.. does that mean it is rechargeable? in other words, is the battery that it comes with rechargeable?

because im thinking of canceling my order of the 20mW ultrafire and changing it to this one. of course with a few extra bucks on hand ;D

Razako

bobobob121 said:
because the battery that it comes with is a lithium.. does that mean it is rechargeable? in other words, is the battery that it comes with rechargeable?
It comes with 1 18650 rechargeable lithium-ion cell like the lasers on KD.

u think i should change my oder from the 20mW ultrafire that seems to never restock to this one?

Go for that $55 50mW laser. It's better built, focusable, higher mW, and has a better heatsink on it so you can run it longer. I've also heard it has much better quality output lacking specks, etc.

For the battery, it probably is rechargable, but you should just buy the charger and a set of those rechargable batteries just in case. You'll use them elsewhere anyway. Hell, get some CR123A batteries too, as you'll eventually be using them in your future lasers.