Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hercules or Aries?

I'm thinking of getting one in the next couple of months. Need time to gather money lol.
I know senkat and timelord each have an aries 175. What are the pros and cons of aries vs herc.
Since i'll be either getting the aries 200 or the herc 200 and they both have the same price.

oh oh and does the hercules series have the key safety feature too?
i dont know if i'm pro key feature or against it yet...
on one hand it's a hassle, on the other it's so cool to need a key to turn on ur laser haha

S

SenKat

Get the most laser you can afford !!!

The Herc is larger than the Aries, both have the same safety features - if you are gonna get a 200, I think the Herc would be the way to go. That way once you get addicted to it, and want MORE power, you'll already be used to the size of it ! :cool:

well I think , in this power range, Size really does matter as duty cycles are concerned. The bigger it is, the more heat it will dissipate for equal powers. It all depends on what you consider more important in your laser. beam specs and burning power, duty cycles, safety features, looks, portability??? Quality, Customer support?
My advice to you, if you have and are prepared to spend the money on a laser like this, then ask yourself , what you want this laser to do, and make a scoring system based on points like above.

Both lasers seem to be doing everything they say they will do with little or no complaints. I can hazard a guess that whatever one you go for, , I doubt you will be disappointed.

Jase

S

SenKat

me_too_lazy said:
i was just looking through the pics in windstrings old thread in LC
http://www.lasercommunity.com/new-g...spammer-banned-t12406.html?highlight=hercules

that thing IS big lol
decisions decisions

I'm sorry - that is ridiculous ! I have met windstrings in person - and like I said to "steve" if he really WAS Dimitry, I would have expected him to be carying the whole product line with him or something ! Geeesh !

Oh - the Herc can be powered externally without modification, it has external modulation capabilities, and I think would be the better choice, IMO....much more flexible with the possible "stuff" you can do with it !

Go with the Herc! If you ever get in a fight and can't burn the person you can always hit them with the laser ;D ;D ;D

I chose the Aries 225 over the herc due mainly to size and portability issues. The herc is a great laser and I'd love to get one if I could afford another... I absolutely love my Aries - I've measured it peaking over 300mW before I panicked and shut it off for fear of destroying my meter.

It really depends on what you want to use it for. The best laser is the one that meets your needs.

There are some for sale on e-bay now (an Aries, a Herc, and an Optotronics RPL-260) - I am not selling, just watching with no intention to buy. You may get a good deal there.

oh wow i have been checking ebay for a week now but none have ever shown up

I can't seem to find the herc auction.  Do you have a link perhaps?

edit: nevermind found =)
oh man everythings so cheap!  but i have no cash!  

edit#2: the herc guy said he bought his herc300 for $889 new. but a herc300 is $1389 even AFTER the price reduction. Guess i'll send him an email.

SenKat said:
[quote author=me_too_lazy link=1176927241/0#2 date=1176928430]i was just looking through the pics in windstrings old thread in LC
http://www.lasercommunity.com/new-g...spammer-banned-t12406.html?highlight=hercules

that thing IS big lol
decisions decisions

I'm sorry - that is ridiculous ! I have met windstrings in person - and like I said to "steve" if he really WAS Dimitry, I would have expected him to be carying the whole product line with him or something ! Geeesh !

Oh - the Herc can be powered externally without modification, it has external modulation capabilities, and I think would be the better choice, IMO....much more flexible with the possible "stuff" you can do with it !
[/quote]

Besides.. my tan is far too good to be a Canadian living in Canada.. besides.. that would have been a "very " long drive to see Senkat!
And how would the same thunderstorms that hit me, hit him a few hours later?... LOL!

Justin

Haha! Windstrings, I can vouch for the fact that after a long Toronto winter there aren't many nice tans at Laserglow. ;)

Now if only we could use a laser to tan... (Please, don't anyone try!)

hey senkat is ur aries' beam significantly more visible than a fusions since its 175mW?

the herc simple because when your walking down the street with it (as you usualy would ;)) IT DEMANDS RESPECT!!!

also when you say you got a laser pointer on the internet and you wip out this almost bazooka like thing the look on there faces would be.. priceless. :cool:

S

SenKat

I sold it to Timelord :( <-----the frowny is only cause I no longer have it - I am glad Timelord loves it so much, and is providing it such a great number of things to burn, and show off ! ;D ;D I do not regret selling it to him - cause it does have a very good home - but on the other hand, maybe I shoulda just proposed a timeshare type of thing for it ? :p hehehehehehe !

Kenom

Ok, I'm looking for the review of the hercules with all the pictures that shows how big the doggone thing is.
Never realized it was a freakin canon. anyone wanna post the original thread with the review and pics?

T

timelord

I promise to look after her and feed her with quality batteries only :D And as for burning stuff it knocks spots off pen type lasers for sheer power. I'm using accupower 6000mah Nimh's and i'm still getting readings of over 200mw constant ;D Alkalines i'm getting 226mw and sometimes more :eek: The Aries is a good choise for the halfway house between the Hercules, as the Herc is damn big (like a baseball bat)
I can still carry my aries in my inside jacket pocket and stun friends with the green beam in the sky :D