Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hercules 550 and ugly hopping mode.

Hello to everyone.
Since Laserglow staff has never answered to my multiple messages about Hercules mode hopping (and this is the first time that Laserglow ignore me), I try to ask to the LPF users some notices about this bad issue.
I have tested Hercules 550 under the following circumstances:

- Fresh charged Tenergy Premium 10.000 mAh (with Ansmann Energy 8 Plus);
- Original power supply;
- Room temperature: 23 °C;
- Smoke;
- Beam expander 10x.

I used beam expander because the issue shows much more evident.

Turning ON the laser, it shows the classical cold DPSS issues: instability, flickers, multiple TEM modes, and so on;
After one minute, and for the first 4 minutes, the beam goes solid and the DOT perfect rounded;
After 4 minutes the beam goes double: I can clearly see a first beam and a second small weak beam;
After 8 minutes (from the first ON) the beam become solid again and the DOT Tem00;
After 16 minutes (from the first ON) the beam splits again in two almost identical beams, very ugly to see.
From now and for the next 16 minutes the beam rest splitted, but as times passes, the beam goes unique.
Finally, after 32 minutes (from the first ON), and this time forever, the beam rest solid and TEM00.

The question is: is this normal?
It's not too nice to wait everytime 32 minutes to have a beautiful beam, especially if I
want to make a rapid show for my friends ...
The temperature is good and the batteries are the best availables on the net, freshly charged.
The issue shows also with the power supply, so cannot be a matter of wrong current/voltage.
All the lens are cleaned (I use a special little pump for the cameras), and all the contacts was cleaned and lubricated (I use a fantastic product called CRC 5-56).

If some kindly soul can explain me because this happen, I will be eternally grateful to him :thanks:

Richard.

Last edited:

Sounds like it is hopping to TEM01 every now and then. These are continuous duty air-cooled units (fan forced air according to the site) so one would think that it is not a thermal issue but you can't tell by measuring external temperatures.

Can you unscrew the tailcap and measure the current draw with a multimeter? If there is a difference in current between the TEM00 and TEM01 states this could be a cause. It may also be that the cooling fan does not run continuously, so keep that in mind when checking current draw. If it is TEM01 only when the fan comes on it could be a current issue still - not enough getting to the diode, or a thermal one.

Best bet would be to contact Laserglow directly and ask them. They do read the forums and answer things but it takes a while and they do miss threads.

Hello!
I wrote some times ago to Mr. Scott and then do Mr. Justin, but I haven't never received any response, by email or by PM.
The internal fan is always on, also when the laser is cold.
When I shut on the laser, the internal fan starts immediately and so rest.
When I plug the external power supply, the fan goes slow, but always on.
When I use Alkaline batteries, especially when are half charged, the fan goes off or near off.
I have seen the same double beam in Mr. Smeerworst laser, during an outside test, at a low temperature.
It seems that more warm is the laser, more stable is the beam.
Exactly the opposite how could be.
I must say an important thing: the double beam is very visible with beam expander, but much less visible without it. I think that other users with no beam expander may have the same issue, but cannot see the double beam due to the low divergence of Hercules diode.
I havent' a multimeter, only a tester.

Richard.

Last edited: