Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HELP!!! yobresal/survial 445 broken!

So I just got my yobresal/survival laser 1-1.3 W laser in the mail today (second hand) and was unscrewing some bits and having a look around, then when I put it back together it didn't work....I found that I had, by twisting, broken the connection between the wires that lead to the pill and the diode pins, and also pulled the negative lead out of the pill......what can I do??? help. please. :(:(:(:(:(
- Matt

Trevor

If it's resolderable, do that.

If it's not fixable, it should be a pretty good object lesson...

-Trevor

Morgan

Photos of the damage?

You can either have a go at repairing it yourself, (many here would), or send it to someone near you who will fix it for you, (This might be free of charge depending if you catch someone in a good mood but you should expect to pay a modest fee).

There could be some permanent damage but no-one will know until we either see photos or the repairer has it in hand.

It happens but I can only say, be more careful next time...

M
:)

If you think you can repair it yourself, we can guide you through.

If not, you can send to somebody for repairs.

What do you think?

It looks like the entire Pill is filled with Arctic Silver Epoxy. Is this the case? That will make the job much more difficult. Can You reach the driver through the bottom of the Pill as you don't show it?

Nice pictures. Could do with little more brightness though.

Anyhow, it doesn't look bad.
It can be fixed easily but there's one outstanding issue:

When you tried to turn the laser on afterwards, it's possible that something got broken that moment. More specificaly, the driver this laser uses (presumably some sort of DC/DC converter) has most likely died after it was powered but no load on it's output was connected at the time.

We can guide you through the repairs, but you'll have to hope for the best.
Not very likely the driver survived.

Buying a replacement should be easy enough though, but it's a needed expense.

You feel up for some DIY repairs?

Honestly, I haven't done any soldering since HS and this seems to be a pretty delicate job, I don't want to do anymore damage than I already have.

If that's the case, then it's pretty obvious what to do. See who of the members in this forum lives close to you, so you can save on shipping costs and time.

I have offered to fix his laser. As frustrating as it is to see one of these lasers opened needlessly I would rather see it working. I will replace the driver because as suggested when powered without load becomes fried and re-soldering it to the diode will without fail murder the diode. Hopefully no damage has been done to the diode.

csshih

I have offered to fix his laser. As frustrating as it is to see one of these lasers opened needlessly I would rather see it working. I will replace the driver because as suggested when powered without load becomes fried and re-soldering it to the diode will without fail murder the diode. Hopefully no damage has been done to the diode.

really? hahahah I did that once.

then I resoldered it,
then broke the wires at the driver, so I took out the driver and put better wires on..

[see below]

then I resoldered it,
then I realized I soldered the 445 diode backwards,

then I resoldered it,
then I realized I couldn't reassemble the laser because the wire was outside of the pill,

then I resoldered it,
then I told myself to solder at 4AM.
fun times. those diodes are resilient especially since it was my first time soldering a LD. :thinking:

OH WAIT I FORGOT.

[below]
then I soldered the diode w/ a 7135 board in a hotlight host but realized the voltage wouldn't be easy to supply.
then I resoldered it,

.....o_O

Last edited:
I wish I knew then, what I know now, thanks Yobresal for your willingness to help me out on this one.

Garoq

Thanks for helping him out, Yobresal.