Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help with White Laser

You can buy those cheap on ebay all set up and ready to play fairly cheaply, although the cheap ones don't play long before a diode failure, I've heard. Opt Laser sells a nice single mode RGB to white module for 500 bucks which should last, quality costs.

diachi

I was thinking I should just get the 3 laser modules (w/ driver) and stick a potentiometer between the power supply for each laser.

That doesn't work - you need to look for a laser with a driver that has "analogue modulation". You can then use a 5V supply and pot. to control output via the analogue modulation input.

I've heard. Opt Laser sells a nice single mode RGB to white module for 500 bucks which should last, quality costs.
Yes I've heard that too. :crackup:
Mine arrived yesterday and I'm so excited and nervous.
BTW, the service from OPT Lasers is exceptional.
Contact Mateusz, he's very helpful.

That doesn't work - you need to look for a laser with a driver that has "analogue modulation". You can then use a 5V supply and pot. to control output via the analogue modulation input.
I'm doing some research to work out the best way to implement this, I may need some help from you guys. :crackup:
It's been years and years since I've done any proper electronics. :whistle:

IMG_3154-pro.jpg

Reactions: GSS
OMG, I want four of those to knife edge into a 4X white beam! Please show a photo of the unit next to something I know the size of, I want to see how tiny they are.

OMG, I want four of those to knife edge into a 4X white beam! Please show a photo of the unit next to something I know the size of, I want to see how tiny they are.

Ok here you go.

:yh:

IMG_3155.jpg

IMG_3156.jpg

IMG_3157.jpg

IMG_3159.jpg

IMG_3160.jpg

IMG_3161.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

IMG_3153.jpg

Cheers
RB

:beer:

Wow, even smaller than I thought.... Even though I know the size of those laser modules, seeing that photo next to the 26650 battery sure shows how tiny it is. Are you going to have a host made to hold it inside a pointer?

Wow, even smaller than I thought.... Even though I know the size of those laser modules, seeing that photo next to the 26650 battery sure shows how tiny it is. Are you going to have a host made to hold it inside a pointer?

Yeah they're pretty small.
I was glad about that because I was worried it'd be too big to fit into a build.

I'm going to keep it as a 'bench test' unit until I figure out how to drive it.
I'm trying to learn Arduino so that I can set it up the way I'm envisioning it in my mind, then I'll look into getting a host made up.
Baby steps..... :)

RB

Dog

I only have around $80 to spend and was hoping for a ~500mw total output with this this (100mw) and this (The 3 modules). I already have the heat sinks, dichros, and a bunch of 18650s for the project which leaves about $30 for the 3 things that will let me control the output of the lasers. Why wouldn't 3 volt regulators work?

diachi

I only have around $80 to spend and was hoping for a ~500mw total output with this this (100mw) and this (The 3 modules). I already have the heat sinks, dichros, and a bunch of 18650s for the project which leaves about $30 for the 3 things that will let me control the output of the lasers. Why wouldn't 3 volt regulators work?

For one, those lasers already have drivers built in so current to the diode is already being regulated by that, adjusting input voltage won't have an effect assuming the drivers are actually any good (other than the lasers turning off when the voltage is too low). Even if they aren't good regulators, adjusting the input voltage likely won't give the result you're looking for. You'd need to replace the drivers on the lasers entirely.

Last edited:
While trying to source parts for my RGB-V lumia build, I found that a blue module in a lower power level was difficult to get. Both red (650nm), and green (532nm) were easy, but nobody had anything in the blue spectrum. So I ended up building my own 445nm module.
Also beware that some sellers will say that they have blue modules, when in fact they are violet (405nm)!

Dog

So would this, this, and this solve my problem? And would 405nm still work to make white light if I give it a little more power?

diachi

So would this, this, and this solve my problem? And would 405nm still work to make white light if I give it a little more power?

No, they all have TTL modulation - you'd need to use PWM with those to adjust brightness.

Yes, you can do white with 405nm, that said, I find it's a nicer white if you use 445nm. 200mW may not be enough power with 100mW 532nm.

See: http://laserpointerforums.com/f48/my-rgv-alive-48046.html

And: http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/fs-white-fusion-laser-mixing-kit-42013.html

Well I hope I haven't hijacked this thread but I wanted to share this with you.
I fired up the unit today to test it out and WOW !
A beautiful WHITE BEAM greeted me.
Then by adjusting the various voltages on the RGB channels I got these beautiful array of colours.
This was a quick test BTW.

RB

IMG_3175.jpg

"Let there be White !"

IMG_3174.jpg

IMG_3166.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3168.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

IMG_3171.jpg

IMG_3170.jpg

IMG_3176.jpg

Dog

That white laser is really cool. What outputs would you recommend for me if I want to keep the 100mw green? And the cheapest analogue modulated driver modules I found will add up to over $200!

Myself, I am not quite sure what you are asking, for a green laser recommendation?

Very nice RB astro, thank you for the photo's, all on topic, so I don't see a high jack here. The colors are very nice, I see you made different combinations, nice. I have a request kind sir, could you please take some night shots of the beam for us, maybe even a sky beam shot if willing to do that?